• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Would You Tackle This Job???

Barry Jenicek

Fellow Letterheads, I need your input.

Because we have a CNC router, we focus on dimensional signage, thus we do not have a wide format printer.

I have a client who has made a simple request concerning a banner they have that was printed on such a device. The print is on banner type material (sorry, I do not know the “official” name of the material), it has a sewed seam at the top and bottom. There are no seams on the sides.

The banner is 5 feet tall by 3 feet wide. The thing they do not like about it is that the sides are curling inwardly…not a great deal, but enough for them not to like it. They want me to paste it to a substrate (not the wall) so the sides are flat, eliminating the curl.

In other words, this is a “wall paper” job. Slap some glue on the back of the banner material, stick it to a substrate, and cut it to size. (The seam at the top and bottom can be cut off if needed)

That’s a “cut and dried” operation, but before I go and do the job, I thought I would consult with “ya all” to see if there is any special type of adhesive I should use and if you have any other advice you would like to share.

Thanks

Barry
Signs by Unique

Malkin

Maybe some DF Banner tape around the edges to bond to the substrate?

We keep a 48" roll of DF adhesive for that kind of thing, used to use spray adhesive, but that gets messy.

Also, it's quite possible that if the unhemmed edges were sewn up, (or maybe just taped with PowerTape) that it would eliminate the curl.

skyhigh

Maybe some DF Banner tape around the edges to bond to the substrate?

We keep a 48" roll of DF adhesive for that kind of thing, used to use spray adhesive, but that gets messy.

Also, it's quite possible that if the unhemmed edges were sewn up, (or maybe just taped with PowerTape) that it would eliminate the curl.

:goodpost:
I'd try the PowerTape first!!!!

I've never used a 48" roll of DF adhesive, but something else you could try, would be to wrap the edge over the panel, and secure (you said you have extra on the edge).

If you use some type of substrait material....then 60" x 36" of DF tape, would you be much further ahead, then if you were to just make her a sign panel to replace the banner?

2B

???

We are talking about banner material, one of the cheapest materials there is. I can think of several MM here that are cheaper to get the banner reprinted then attach it to a rigid substrate (acp, mdo, pvc, etc...)

are you doing this job pro-bono?