• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would YOU wrap this?

Haakon

Porsche rear wing that is.

I wrapping a Porsche 996 GT3 mkI now, pretty much done with it apart from the bumpers and rear wing. Bumpers are a breeze but the shape of the rear wing is a bit of a challenge. I have plenty of time since the owner just left for a two week RV holiday driving through Europe to Italy and back to Norway, so he will not be picking the car up until the 15th this month. I have plenty of time to try out different approaches.

The wing and rear deck/engine cover is one single piece to make things even more challenging. I told the owner that wrapping this piece in a single piece was about impossible, but the fewer seams/pieces the better. I am using Oracal 970RA (Police Green) to wrap the car. Here are some pics of the wing, the shape is almost folded onto itself, real puzzler :)

Attachments

• porsche gt3 - yellow-1024x768.jpg
    porsche gt3 - yellow-1024x768.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 996_GT3_mk1_0410_500.jpg
    996_GT3_mk1_0410_500.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 996_GT3_mk1_0391_500.jpg
    996_GT3_mk1_0391_500.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2611.jpg
    IMG_2611.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 94

Circleville Signs

Regarding the wing, I would dothe bottom with one piece, thenthe top with one piece and overlap it about 2 inches so that it appears to be seamless.

4R Graphics

I agree with Circleville do the top as one piece and the bottom as one piece. I assume you have done a wrap or 2 so think of it like the recess areas on a front spoiler. On the deep ones we lay in a piece to fill the fog light hole then wrap the spoiler and trim out there should be a small over lap between the inlay and the spoiler wrap. I would do something similar to this on the wing. Wrap the bottom of the wing first and trim it so it that it is short about 1 to 2 inches from the edge then wrap the top of the wing and roll it around the edges and under the wing and over lap the first piece you put on with a small over lap say 1/4 to 1/2 inch. If done this way you shouldnt have to strech the material to much so it shouldnt fail on you and if the seams are under the wing noone except the owner will probablly ever see it. This is how I would do it as it just cant be done in one piece and you dont want it to fail on you just because you tried to get no seams as sometimes you just have to seam it. Explain to the customer why and put the seams where they are not noticable when standing around and looking at it. Thats the best you can do there are limitations.

Good luck.

Haakon

I will see how I attact this. The wing is basically two "layers", with an adjustable top part, and air intakes on the lower part. It is also seamlessy bonded (or maybe molded in 1 part) to the rear lid. Will be an interesting challenge :)

Car is almost done apart from bumpers, side skirts and rear wing now

Attachments

• IMG_2656.jpg
    IMG_2656.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_0669.jpg
    DSC_0669.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0738.jpg
    DSC_0738.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 98

4R Graphics

When you get it done post picks and tell us how you did it. Always good to know another way to do something.

Haakon

Not quite done yet, but started on the wing today. Did the adjustable foil in the middle in 2 parts, top and bottom with a overlap about 2-3 inches in from front and rear on the underside. Overlap itself is about 5mm, used wrapcut tape to cut the vinyl.

Side parts are done in several pieces, laid down wrapcut tape almost like pinstriping first to see where the least visible overlaps would be. No showcar finish, but this is a racecar and the customer did not mind if there were joints on the rear wing (said when we looked over the car at delivery that the wing would be problematic, and the customer agreed.) He uses the car for trackdays and racing only, and uses the car hard. He went through several sets of front indicators in a season, because when used for ice racing in winter, the wrc-spec studded ice tires hooks in the indicators (and eats through the front fenders) when turning hard at speed.

Anyway, a few pics of the work so far:

Attachments

• IMG_2699.jpg
    IMG_2699.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2692.jpg
    IMG_2692.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 108

Haakon

Thank you :)

Only reason is it green is because the owner wanted it in the classic signal green Porsche color used both on the old 911 Carrera RS 2,7 as well as the newer 911 GT3 RS like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZVaOT4bBrs&feature=related

Oracals Police Green was the closest match, I went to my local paint/bodyshop and had a sample mixed up of the original paint code to compare it to the wrap vinyl available. The Ocaral came in closest.

Attachments

• fpvu5.jpg
    fpvu5.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 0705CarreraRS0002.jpg
    0705CarreraRS0002.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 96

Mosh

What a re-tard! why would you pay that much for a sticker on a car like that???
Not knocking your work but, I have 3 vettes and there is NO WAY any wrap would look
as good as the facotory paint, much less a custom one. BTW I will put any of my vettes up against any "porchey" anyday! (I have a 66' a 72' and 10-z6)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Mosh's vette is pretty awesome....

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• corvette_20summer_20replica.jpg
    corvette_20summer_20replica.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 110

Haakon

Not knocking your work but, I have 3 vettes and there is NO WAY any wrap would look
as good as the facotory paint, much less a custom one. BTW I will put any of my vettes up against any "porchey" anyday! (I have a 66' a 72' and 10-z6)

Well the wrap is pretty much to protect the original Porsche paintwork, this is sttill a $120.000 car over here, and painting it in a non stock colour would no nothing good for the value. Some buy expensive sports car to baby them, wash them in the driveway for neighbors to see and pretty much just show off, others use them as intended, driven hard an a track, both summer and winter. Riding bumper to bumber at 150mph down a straight on a racetrack gets the front pretty much bombarded with small stone chips thrown up from the super sticky racing slicks on the car in front.

Here is a clip from a winter trackday event this year, I also wrapped the 2012 Nissan GTR in full winter camo on the video. You can see this actual Porsche at 5:15 into the clip, silver with orange wheels. I also made the CREW decals for the crew cars, like the black Lamborghini accelerating to 140mph on ice in the video:http://youtu.be/erYbrcBYj8Q
At this event it was -5F outside (-20C).

Last years event: http://youtu.be/5baneQF6DeM

Incar footage from this very Porsche: http://youtu.be/HCgGNMqQgvY

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Great videos,
looks like a lot of fun and a lot of expensive sheet metal sliding around on that lake.
How long does the event run? Just the weekend?
Nice to see your snow cammo project in motion. I guess it is not 100% effective as it was still visible to the camera......
The only ice we see here is when it is time to clean the freezer out.

wayne k
guam usa

Dave Drane

I agree totally...Plus it would be less work to do the job properly and it would be permanent??:goodpost:

mgieske

Mosh said:

I have 3 Fords and I think that wrap will protect the valuable factory paint for a net dollar gain at resale. (free wrap)

Haakon

Just a small update on this, I haven't heard from the customer since he picked up his car with a big grin on his face (good thing), but I found a pic of the car from this years ice festival event. Now with some added sponsor decals.

Still looks good, even after an incident involving a snowbank :D

Attachments

• img_0584.jpg
    img_0584.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 91
  • img_0614.jpg
    img_0614.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 105