Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Howdy from Alberta Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by texasducod, Jun 10, 2007.

1. texasducod

texasducod New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Hello; I've enjoyed reading on this site; it has been helpful as I plan to invest into a vinyl sign business and have no real experience; although I've been working with vinyl sheet flooring for 16 years so I can appreciate the similarities at least.

Thanks to you all I am deciding between the Graphtec and the Roland machines, but am also looking into benQ.
    Also I am not sure weather to get a combo. print/cutter or two seperate machines... I think two would be better, no?
    And I think a 30" machine would be the best because I noticed most rolls of material only come 30" wide; but don't know if the market here will demand a bigger machine so should I buy bigger to start off?
    As well I think the shop will need a 4x8 light table to cut on and a Lamination machine to avoid nasty bubbles in my product. Plus raw materials, knives, blades and some hand tools is there anything else I will need to run an efficient shop?

Tags:
  2. mander0104

mander0104 Member

Jun 15, 2005
    No advice as far as equipment as i am also fairly new at this.
    But just wanted to say welcome from a fellow albertan....where bouts you from??

3. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

That is a very good question of which I have some very good answers.

Welcome from Okalhoma!

4. Custom Signs

Custom Signs Member

May 16, 2006
    Longview, TX
    Hello from Texas!

5. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Howdee from VA..............................

6. texasducod

texasducod New Member

Jun 10, 2007

lol, so where would I find your "very good answers"?

BTW I am in Edmonton.

7. mladams7259

mladams7259 Very Active Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Welcome Aboard texasducod!

Check out the link in signsbydales' signature. Every shop should have one! The are priceless!

8. texasducod

texasducod New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Yeah; I already saw the big squeegee and will no doubt be getting one of those puppies...

9. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Welcome

10. PhilinMarlton

PhilinMarlton New Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Welcome! I'm sure you'll find the members here to be very helpful as you begin your vinyl adventure.

with regard to equipment... depending on your growth plans, larger may be better than smaller. phil

11. texasducod

texasducod New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    yeah, who wants employees anyway; I think I'll go for the cheaper smaller one.

12. Sign Prophet

Sign Prophet Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Welcome from Long Beach, Ca.

13. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    So how are things in Edmonton?
    I left there 16 years ago..I know housing has gone thru the roof(so to speak)
    But do you see yourself competing against existing sign/design shops or will you offer your services to a niche market?
    A print/cut machine such as a versa-camm should serve you well. But you can always just start with a plotter. If you go with print/cut..don't be in a big hurry to buy a laminator. You can hand-lam easily enough.
    Store-front or home-based?
    I've done some business with Corbin Graphics ( 99 ST) and I have found them helpful.
    Wishing you all success...Ken

14. masterdesigns

masterdesigns Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Best of luck. Welcome