• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Howdy from Alberta Canada

texasducod

Hello; I've enjoyed reading on this site; it has been helpful as I plan to invest into a vinyl sign business and have no real experience; although I've been working with vinyl sheet flooring for 16 years so I can appreciate the similarities at least.

Thanks to you all I am deciding between the Graphtec and the Roland machines, but am also looking into benQ.
Also I am not sure weather to get a combo. print/cutter or two seperate machines... I think two would be better, no?
And I think a 30" machine would be the best because I noticed most rolls of material only come 30" wide; but don't know if the market here will demand a bigger machine so should I buy bigger to start off?
As well I think the shop will need a 4x8 light table to cut on and a Lamination machine to avoid nasty bubbles in my product. Plus raw materials, knives, blades and some hand tools is there anything else I will need to run an efficient shop?

mander0104

No advice as far as equipment as i am also fairly new at this.
But just wanted to say welcome from a fellow albertan....where bouts you from??

mladams7259

Welcome Aboard texasducod!

Check out the link in signsbydales' signature. Every shop should have one! The are priceless!

PhilinMarlton

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find the members here to be very helpful as you begin your vinyl adventure.

with regard to equipment... depending on your growth plans, larger may be better than smaller. phil

Ken

So how are things in Edmonton?
I left there 16 years ago..I know housing has gone thru the roof(so to speak)
But do you see yourself competing against existing sign/design shops or will you offer your services to a niche market?
A print/cut machine such as a versa-camm should serve you well. But you can always just start with a plotter. If you go with print/cut..don't be in a big hurry to buy a laminator. You can hand-lam easily enough.
Store-front or home-based?
I've done some business with Corbin Graphics ( 99 ST) and I have found them helpful.
Wishing you all success...Ken