• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Howdy From Carleton Place - Canada

farleycat

Hi, I am new to the sign making business and considering a part time business making signs and fridge magntets to start. I have seen a Gerber FX in action and was impressed, but I don't really have a frame or reference.

I have an option to buy new or buy a refurbished Gerber LE with a gs-15" plotter for approx 12k.

I this a good deal?? I watned to make sure I had a printer that would cut signs but Magnetic material as well. Should I be lookin at other printers?

Any advice welcome...

Ken

Hi Farley.
Welcome to S101.
Born and raised in Ottawa myself.
You wont really find a cutter that cuts magnetic material. Usually vinyl is applied to the magnet.
I'm not familiar with Gerber equipment..so can't help there.
Learn the design software first, study some design principles, read lots on this forum ( use the search tool at the top to seek out info already covered).
Cheers from BC ( Not Bells Corners..lol)
Ken

farleycat

That's big ass signs... That's major league...

I just want to do little fridge magnets and some small business signs to get started...

I take it you are the big fromage..

Ken

Farley, a small fridge magnet takes the same design skills as a large sign.
Main message, negative space, secondary copy, colours etc.
Many here recommend Mike Stevens book..Mastering Layout.
Since you're in Kanata you might as well use CorelDraw..you can always go knock on their door if you need help...lol
Ken

gabagoo

Pride Signs is a pretty big outfit near Kitchener Ontario. As to magnets. The gerber edge does cut them allthough I have to admit that cutting magnetic material in a steel machine has its problems lol
welcome and good luck from Toronto

signmeup

Gidday from NS. I used to live just outside Arnprior.....Glasgow Station. Nice country out there.
Sub the work out till you get a feel for the biz. You might love it...you might not. I'd find out first before I plunked down 12 G's.