• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How's business?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Ever since I found this:
http://tinyurl.com/2b5mbrz
things have been looking up for me here!

On a serious side this year started busy and looks like it will stay that way for a while.
Just signed my first contract as the sole source graphics provider for my largest customer. No more bidding on projects for at least a year.
yeah me....

wayne k
guam usa

Christian @ 2CT Media

Lost our biggest client to FedEx/Kinkos cause they were 10% more expensive, have longer lead times, charge them for every minute they do anything, BUT they offer free overnight shipping (We shipped 165 orders for them overnight last year) on orders over $2,000 anywhere in the US (Which is twice their average order with us)... Only to replace them with a new client who has spent in 3 weeks 50% more than what the client we lost spent in 15 months with us.

We have also picked up 5 other new clients and so far have done 50% of what we did last year in 2 months.... There is a lot of work in AZ right now.

brush1

I'm visiting this forum from time to time. Generally when I'm not busy.....sometimes when need help.
I just don't understand how some of you are hanging all the time on the internet and are very busy making signs.
When I'm very busy "I don't have time to go to the restroom".....not much time to check emails.......a little nervous when customer is hanging to long.....and I'm very well organized and really fast person.

How do you do this?

Business is not changing much for me for past 2 years.
Can afford 3k sqft location in the middle of the city, 2 Versacamm and some additional equipment. I'm only person working in my shop and this is my choice. Have some subcontractors and don't consider to have employee.

Christian @ 2CT Media

How do you do this?

I'm only person working in my shop and this is my choice. Have some subcontractors and don't consider to have employee.

I think you answered your own question... a lot on here have employees, etc. to help carry the load so 100% of the work isn't square on their shoulders.

artbot

been on the equivalent of a "shutdown" this last three months. even worked two 65+ hour days to keep up with rush deadlines on big orders. there is no limit to the amount of business that can be taken in. texas has a strong economy for sure. one other graphics guy i know is slammed beyond belief and expanding/kicking out subleasees and i'm expanding too, building some giant dream equipment for all kinds of frankensteinery.

brush1

If you have employee and your shop is very busy you still don't have time to hang on the internet. You can't just quit everything and have fun....or you are not a business person.
"You can only make so much money from your own labor..." That's true.....but you can pick to have employee or subcontractors......some of them can be "like your employee".
Most of the time they just care a little more....Just my opinion.

cdiesel

If you have employee and your shop is very busy you still don't have time to hang on the internet. You can't just quit everything and have fun....or you are not a business person.
"You can only make so much money from your own labor..." That's true.....but you can pick to have employee or subcontractors......some of them can be "like your employee".
Most of the time they just care a little more....Just my opinion.

Because some of us post from time to time online does not mean we are not business people.. that's just silly. Every situation is different.. Maybe we manage time better, maybe we work longer hours and choose to take a break here and there.. whatever.
Subcontractor does not equal care more. It generally only equals "costs more" on an hourly basis. The nice thing is you can cut them loose easily if things slow. If you're busy enough, this isn't a problem, get employees, treat them right, and make money.

brush1

It is great to have forum like this and people who post from time to time. I see some very friendly people with a lot of knowlege.

I'm just curious....how people who are here "24/7", slamed with work can do this.

I'm pretty sure business people will first focus on the business when business is booming....
I'm happy with money what I make in my business. I love what I'm doing. I enjoy to not have emplyees. It is my choice. I'm working this way for over 20 years. Have the same subcontractors for years.....and can afford them without any problem.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Subcontractor does not equal care more. It generally only equals "costs more" on an hourly basis.

I have to comment...

Most of my work is subcontracting, and I tend to agree with this, in principle. Especially if the sub is doing "regular" sign shop design work.

I would hope that as a sub, I bring a different set of skills than an average sign design freelancer. That ends up making more money for my client IF <--- notice big if... they learn my skills while the job is going... if they don't learn, I can be a large expense. I can still make them money, just not as much. It's always my intention on every new client to teach a shop my skills, then get cut loose to go to the next shop, architect or design firm who needs them.

What's nice about the surge in work is most shops are still hesitant to hire, so sub work goes up. Lately, I turn away more work than I get, if they can't wait 6-8 months, I can't do it. My friends are getting too much work to.

Oh, I have plenty of time to "play" on the internet because I make time to learn and contribute. That puts my name out there, and occasionally that leads to work.

brush1

I'm a designer. I really enjoy this part of the sign business. I take care of printing to. All installation and more then half manufacturing type of work goes to subcontractors.
I do what I enjoy to do....I'm lucky to be able to have fun while making money.

CentralSigns

We are slammed in the Rockies. Worse time of the year for this with Skiing in full swing. Haven't had a lot of fresh snow anyways, so I'll hang the skis for now till the next powder day. Hope business stays this way the last 2 months are triple last years numbers.

Custom_Grafx

All this talk of business going so good in the US... maybe it's time for us Aussies to snap up some greenback while it's $1.07 ?

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Nice work. I am glad that everybody's able to feed their family well.

We will start serving southern California in wide format / super wide format technical work starting in May 2012. A few projects are also on the way. To a few that aren't doing well. Don't give up. God is leading the way.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey brush... if you're happy, what's your beef about people being here all the time ?? Do your thing and we'll do ours.

I have this place on the monitor while I'm at work almost all day, but visit from time to time throughout the day. Sometimes, I'll stay on for a while while working on other projects, talking on the phone, quoting or just delegating.... with delegating being the key factor.

Someone said it already, but I'm gonna comment on it again so it sinks in.... You, yourself can only produce so much work regardless of how many machines you have going or how fast you are. You can only work so many hours without falling over from exhaustion.

Here, we have a few guys working on various things from painting, flatbed printing, decorating a truck, building some channels to screen printing, while I'm bossing them around and making them do my share of the work on top. ~))

I have so many interruptions a day, that getting my chores done each day isn't easy, so s101 helps me get back into the groove again. I get far more done come about 4:30 to 8 at night. No distractions except for s101, but that's a nice distraction.

Anyway, when you want to make some real money... talk to someone who knows how to delegate and let go.... you'll start making so much more money then.

Twisted Images

digital print is slow but screen printing and embroidery are pretty good right now with the city sports teams starting up again. Banners are soon to follow.

brush1

Gino
I'm just curious. Not beef at all. It is anyting wrong with asking questions?
I don't need to talk about making real money in this business. I do this......at list I'm happy with what I'm making now. It wasn't about this.
I'm unable to be busy in my shop and be on internet all the time. I just want to know how this can be possible.
I use subcontractors....it is like to have employees but less problems. More comfort.....for me. Each person is different. I can afford this. No problem.
I use some merchants from this forum. Very happy with them.

SignManiac

If you are a small operation then you should not and can not spend all your time on this sign forum. You need to be making signs. But there are some of us who work very smart and not hard. I would rather delegate. I decided I did not like doing all of the production and hired capable employees to do all of that for me.

This allows me to spend my time here and elsewhere, learning more important things that relate to building a successful company and letting it work for me. You have to live with what makes you happy. I'm happy screwing off because I put myself in a position where I can.