• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 1055 CM Plus

Hello Group, I'm new to this forum....but been around the sign business a while. We mostly cater to the specialty vinyl apparel decorating market and also do vinyl graphics as well (window decals etcetera) I got my hands on a barely used (and I mean barely) HP 1055 CM Plus large format printer. This thing was purchased originally for a little over 10k 4 years ago and used a couple dozen times for printing house plans. I picked it up for 750 bucks and would like to experiment with it. Is anyone on this forum familiar with this printer. I refer all my wrapping customers elsewhere as well as decals that dont lend themselves to layered vinyl. This printer might be the fix to that. I plan to laminate anything we print because im not sure if the inks are suitable for exterior long term exposure. Any advice ro help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Billy Potts

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I am familar with that machine but its not made for outdoor use at all. Its a great machine for indoor presentation graphics but you will not get any outdoor durability even if laminated unfortunatley. You should sell it and get a used HP-5500 for about $3k and that will give you 1-2 years outdoor durability with a laminate. Sorry to give you the bad news but you got the wrong piece of equipment.

supaegnt

BigFish,
i was just about to post similar question on the hp that i nearly fell for.more cheese on your burger pal.

:thankyou:

jens

HP 1055 CM , has a dye or a pigment ink setting. these inks are waterbased.
these inks will not stick on vinyl. you need solvent, latex or uv inks.

MachServTech

This HP will only use water based inks. I don't think it runs the UV pigment HP inks, but I may be wrong. Regardless this machine will not produce prints that hold up outdoors.