• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 25500 makes horrible noise

StarSign

My HP 25500 is making a terrible noise like something is grinding, when I print 38" wide and when it is cleaning the heads. Any ideas?

al555

We had that problem about a year ago. After replacing several expensive parts, the tech apparently determined that it was a buildup of ink on the carriage wheels/guides that was creating friction/chattering as it moved along the rod. He didn't seem to have seen that problem before, and it took the guy 3 days to get it fixed (by eventually replacing the entire carriage). Replacing the carriage solved the problem and we haven't had the problem since, but they charged us for all of the guy's time and the extra parts that he replaced before finding the actual problem. Great printer otherwise, but that service call was a debacle and it was alarming for them to A. Not recognize what the problem was right away. B. Charge us for the time and trial and error it took for them to figure out what the problem was and how to fix it.

brushguy

brushguy

my 25500 was making a strange sound. at the right end of the roller kind of by the funnel had to put a drop of oil on the round metal end. I could see that it was rubbing on something

Turtle

Make sure the rails that the printhead travels on are clean and oiled (some people miss the fact there is a top rail too). Sometimes the encoder strip gets ink on it and can disrupt printhead travel. This will also cause a loud banging noise or even a head crash.

mattready

Same thing here...ours sounded like an old man hawking up a snot....turned out to be lack of lube on the 2 rails, a worn out belt (teeth getting smaller) and a weakening belt tensioner. the sound was the motor spinning and jumping "gears" on the belt. replace your belt and the tensioner springs, also clean and lube BOTH rails...there is a top rail and a lower rail.