• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 25500 & setting up email server

ddarlak

Go Bills!
first, LOVE this machine!

W o W is all i got to say.

trying to set up the notification whereas it will email me when errors happen and can't figrue out how to set up the email server.

it's asking for my outgoing email SMTP server ip address and i can't figure out where/what it is.

i've tried nslookup mail.domain.com in a dos shell and it returns an IP address, but this doesn't work when i plug it in.

i've tried looking at the ip addresses in the source code of an email i sent myself.

i've tried looking at the outgoing log in my router and using the ip address of the outgoing ip address that was going to a pop.

nothing, the install guy didn't know how to get it working either.

not very necessary, but when leaving the machine to print for hours, it would be nice to be emailed if an error did happen....

J Hill Designs

what email program you use? also email host?

if its run by your domain server then its usually mail.domain.com or smtp.domain.com

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i use windows live, but hp isn't asking for the normal smtp name, they will only accept an ip address....

hp email server.jpg

ddarlak

Go Bills!
responded:

failure,

please note that you need to configure the email server to make changes effective....

J Hill Designs

no idea just did google search for smtp.live.com and thats what came up...

do you have a domain server with email support? not sure how well hotmail will work with it to begin with...

ddarlak

Go Bills!
just figured it out.

went to cmd and pinged my smtp and magically my smtp ip address came up.

thax 4 the help

ddarlak

Go Bills!
My printer is in a different room, getting notified of an error by email works well!

I was printing a 6' print on the end of a roll, the roll had 8' left on it. I mistakenly left the count at 2 from my last print, so it was printing two panels instead of just the one. About a foot into the second print the material detached and the printer emailed me to tell me there was an issue....

pretty cool....

Dave Rowland

so you dont have a domain/website at all?
running a business on LIVE account?
hmmm i guess it is an assumption that most people have a business domain so therefore a SMTP isn't too hard to sort out... but your internet provider will have a SMTP, you have to look for it but a lot of them require username/password, I cant remember if they are needed.

Basically my server IP address is in the box and as I am part of a Domain/network then I am logged in to the server, so my exchange email box receives the message and passes it on.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
so you dont have a domain/website at all?

no, i have a domains/websites/and multiple email accounts. i use windows live to view my email, i've never had to set up an email account using the smtp ip address, so i hadn't a clue as to how to find it. after searching the web and not finding out much i threw it out here for an answer.

it wasn't asking for my ip address, but my smtp ip address. this threw me for a loop.....