• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 280 Latex Printer Cyan print head needs replacing again

Maxphobia

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the cyan print heads for this printer. They have to be replaced at around 1000 mil I've already replaced them twice and it always seems to happen around 1000 mil of ink goes though them. Though I haven't had to replace any of the other print heads and they have an average of 1700 mils though them.

Is anyone else having this issue if not I wonder what the cause could be.

Without question, the most frequent root cause of premature Printhead failure is directly related to head strikes, usually with media, and this is true for both thermal and piezo printheads. On the Latex 280 and 260, Cyan / light cyan printheads are located in positions 1 and 2 at the left side of the carriage. This location makes them more prone to physical contact with the media, as they would be the first to impact the media on the outbound pass.

Other fairly common causes of premature printhead failure with thermal heads would be dry fire (no ink in the ink chamber) due to air in the ink line. This sometimes happens when the ink cartridges are replaced without first depressurizing of the ink train. Cartridge replacement should always be initiated at the front panel of the printer, in the Ink Menu...

The printheads are warranted separately form the printer itself, for 1,000 ml, so if the failure happens before that amount of ink passes through the head, it will be a warranty replacement. Ink usage can be easily tracked from the printer's front panel, or the printer's Embedded Web Server interface.

Maxphobia

We haven't had a head strike since running the printer a little under 4 months. We've also never replaced the print heads without using the onscreen commands to do so. All the other print heads as still going strong its only been the cyan that we've had to replace twice now. Once we replaced the cyan print heads everything worked fine again.

Just wondering if anyone is having to replace the cyan as often or if it could be an issue with ours alone we had it set up by HP and everything seems to be working fine save for having to replace the cyan print heads so often.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I've gone through so many cyan heads (no.1 position) I lost count. If you use the media guides and it hits one....needs a new head. If you get a simple headstrike on banner material....needs a new head. I've learned to keep 2 extra on hand. These are the most sensitive/damage prone heads I've ever seen.

C

ColoPrinthead

Those head should be under warranty up to 1000ml, HP will replace them. I had issues with Cyan heads on a 26500 and the cause turned out to be that the printer was not setup for our altitude. You might check to make sure you haven't lost a priming cap as well.

juf1an

I have the L260, and i replaced 9 times the LC(1) and LC(2), the others heads has 4000ml and more. This is a big mistake, the hp support its ok, they send to me the new print head in 4 days. But It is a waste of time. The others models of 160cm Latex has the same problem?
Sorry for my english