• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 315 or 365 - built in spectrophotometer

missytoe

Hi, how important and helpful is the built in spectrophotometer on the 365? Can the color matching still be done without it, or is it just more difficult? Thanks.

dypinc

You need to have a spectrophotometer one way or another. If you have handheld one and a RIP with the ability to create profiles then it is probably not as important to have it on the printer. I have the 360 but I think the 315 does have calibration ability. But I do like the convience of being able to use the onboard spectrophotometer from my RIP to read profile targets while I can then do other things. The printer with the spectrophotometer can create so-so profiles where you have no GCR control but in some case the profiles it creates might be good enough.

AF

Colorgate has a “backdoor” module that circumvents the restrictive contone ink limits of the HP and has the ability to produce much better profiles. I have not tested this and I am going with the marketing hype. If this works as advertised, you would want a dedicated spectro for good results, preferably a large aperture Barbierri.

dypinc

Colorgate has a “backdoor” module that circumvents the restrictive contone ink limits of the HP and has the ability to produce much better profiles. I have not tested this and I am going with the marketing hype. If this works as advertised, you would want a dedicated spectro for good results, preferably a large aperture Barbierri.

So what is the official name of that module as I use Colorgate, and when was it released? Link please. It has linearization and profiling but I have not seen anywhere that it can circumvents the restrictive contone ink limits built into the media preset.

Colorgate can use the onboard spectro, and I haven't noticed any difference if I used it or the i1Pro 2.

Last edited: