• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion HP 315

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Does anyone else think that loading this printer is a poor design. I've had it for almost 2 years now. There is a "loader" that you put the roll of vinyl on. Then you put the spindle in the roll and place the hub on the end of the roll. When doing this, it secures the roll onto the spindle. You then lift the loader (with some force) and the vinyl "jumps" into the tracks so that you can load the media into the machine. Now, I've never been good at sports. I can play a little basketball, but I'm notoriously a klutz, so I normally don't use this "jump" feature and opt for picking up the roll and placing it into the tracks. Well, yesterday I "jumped" it and of course it fell out of the tracks and onto the floor. Breaking the hubs on either side.
I immediately called my supplier and another one is being sent to me ($284 plus shipping).
Here's the funny part. My supplier said that 3 hours before another sign shop had to purchase one as well because it broke. This guy has purchased 3 of them over the years because he has broken them. Luckily, I have only broken 1 in 2 years. And it's a small price to pay for the replacement. suffice it to say, I will be babying this thing from here on out. I don't like to spend money especially at my own expense.

If I were reviewing this product, that's the thumbs down part for me. I think I'll call HP and gripe them out about this feature. They have GOT to come up with a better way...

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It's not the best solution in the world. They have come up with a different solution and it's already in the L500 series. That is the way of the future. No spindle to break.

I do have hard time understanding how you were able to make it fall of. You don't even have to use a lot of force, just lift up the table and it will push the roll in. Literally it will just roll on to the tracks. Only thing you need to make sure is that you have the left side on top of the black piece and the right end in the blue slot (the right one). That's it, insanely hard to make it fall on the ground after that.

I've lifted it in there always with the table, hundreds of times, never had an issue. Only way I know people breaking it is make it stand next to a wall and it falls down on the floor etc.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Yea, apparently it's a more common problem than you would think. I talked to my supplier and he said that the L500 series is a better solution. When I upgrade, I'll go for that one. For now, I'm happy with my 315.
It's not the best solution in the world. They have come up with a different solution and it's already in the L500 series. That is the way of the future. No spindle to break.

I do have hard time understanding how you were able to make it fall of. You don't even have to use a lot of force, just lift up the table and it will push the roll in. Literally it will just roll on to the tracks. Only thing you need to make sure is that you have the left side on top of the black piece and the right end in the blue slot (the right one). That's it, insanely hard to make it fall on the ground after that.

I've lifted it in there always with the table, hundreds of times, never had an issue. Only way I know people breaking it is make it stand next to a wall and it falls down on the floor etc.

Yea, Apparently I'm not the only one who has had it drop. You must get it right every time. My supplier did tell me that L500 has a better design. But I guess, when you are working with the cheapest machine they make, you have to deal with certain issues that I'm guessing the better machines don't have.

And yea, the left side was on the black piece and the right end was on the lines. but shit happens.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Well that is strange because it has the black metal tube there that is supposed to stop it falling if you miss the correct spot.

Do you have it?

115 is the cheapest model. I wouldn't even put it on the price label, it's just simply an older desing for low low volume and new things come with newer models always.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Well that is strange because it has the black metal tube there that is supposed to stop it falling if you miss the correct spot.

Do you have it?

115 is the cheapest model. I wouldn't even put it on the price label, it's just simply an older desing for low low volume and new things come with newer models always.
Yes, I have the black metal tube. But when you have a 50 yard roll of vinyl, it drops on top of it and pops the tube out.
Yes, we can agree that it's a simple design. And I guess you're right, the 115 is the cheapest model. But the 315 is just fine for my shop.

what's a "desing" anyway?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Yes, I have the black metal tube. But when you have a 50 yard roll of vinyl, it drops on top of it and pops the tube out.
Yes, we can agree that it's a simple design. And I guess you're right, the 115 is the cheapest model. But the 315 is just fine for my shop.

what's a "desing" anyway?
If yours keeps falling out you may have had a bad luck and received a faulty tube. There was a batch that had some tubes that were too short. It should not fall out if it's correct length.
In case it's very loose you should install washers to it to make it correct. See picture.

"desing" is a typo because English is not my 1st language and -gn doesn't make any sense in my 1st language.

876.png

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Look,
I know you mean well, but I've had the machine for a couple of years now. The original post was a rant about the design flaw. And if youve never dropped your roll then kudos to you. But it happens and clearly happens more frequently than they would probably like to let on. I have an ex husband who works for HP and he knows people in the latex printer sector so I will really be telling him about it as well so he can tell them the design flaws.
Regardless, I don't need anyone to solve my problem for me. It's been solved and a new one is on it's way. I really just meant for this to be more of a rant. I do believe that is allowed here.
Thanks for your responses. Nothing else needs to be said.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Yeah you ranted and I was friendly enough to tell you that you actually might have another problem hindering there that made this happen. The tube is not supposed to fall out even if you drop a 300lb guy on it.

What do I know, I only work with these devices all day long...

But whatever, that's the most Karen reply in a while. That's my rant for today.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Yeah you ranted and I was friendly enough to tell you that you actually might have another problem hindering there that made this happen. The tube is not supposed to fall out even if you drop a 300lb guy on it.

What do I know, I only work with these devices all day long...

But whatever, that's the most Karen reply in a while. That's my rant for today.
Well, you weren't really kind in your original reply telling me "it's insanely hard for it to fall on the ground" when I just said that when I called my supplier he had a guy ordering the same exact part and he'd ordered it *3* times. You're message was condescending. Not supportive or helpful. I tried to disregard it, but you kept going. You spiraled down from there.
There's no Karen here, just trying to let you know that you weren't kind, you were condescending.

stxrmxn

I have one. 3 years and done it about 3 times. Probably load 2 rolls a day so it doesnt happen often but it does happen.Never broken anything but agreed it is a pain to load compared to other printers and yes the new loading was a "major" selling point when the reps were round, like " hey see how our printers are a pain in the ars* to load well guess what we have made them better - buy one"