• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 360 Latex printing issues

coldcuts

We have an HP 360 Latex printer, its our first wide format printer, and maybe we are just green to this whole thing but we feel like we are not getting the type of results we should be. We've been trying to print on multiple substrates and running into issues. It seems like if we do not laminate the substrate after production the ink will flake or rub off in spots. Here are some of our substrates and print issues.

Ultraflex
Vinyl(superprint/jetflex/pole banner) when handling and material bends the ink will crack and scratch off easily.

Berger Textiles
BexTex - Ink rubs off material easily, does not appear to be curing
Samba - Ink still rubs off material although not as easily.

If anyone has any ideas, information or settings that would be great. We have used all recommended profiles and have been told that they should work with our inks. We have numerous projects lined up but are fearful that they are going to just rub off and get ruined.

Thanks

JoeBoomer

The ink definitely shouldn't come off like that. Does it always "flake/chip" off or does it "smear" off? If it smears or is oily at all, then it is not curing fully.

- What kind of environment (temp & humidity) is the printer in?

- Check your optimizer limits too. [Test on the front panel "Settings" -> "Image Quality Maintenance" (or whatever)]

AF

Crank up the heat and turn off the optimizer. You need to get all the water out or the ink won't bake completely. Fabrics and porous media suck in the moisture. You could potentially form a latex skin with wet ink underneath that would lead to flaking.

coldcuts

Temp is around 73, humidity fluctuates between 30-40% generally. I have no idea about the settings so I'll take with my people.

It it seems to be flaking, chipping or rubbing off more frequently than I'd like.

Many only fear about cranking heat is media warping.

JoeBoomer

Your environment seems good.

You are correct in thinking that the heat will warp your media, but you should crank the heat until it doesn't flake off. Then work the temp backwards from there.

However, a lot of stock profiles for vinyl are maxed out in terms of curing temp. You should definitely hit up the vendor who sold you he printer. I have never personally run into an issue like this with ink 'flaking' or chipping, but that doesn't really mean anything.

The HP latex printers are great, so don't let this deter you on your printer purchase. When it comes to wide format printing, I fully endorse HP Latex printers.

Hit up your vendor and I'm sure someone will have an answer on here soon. (They always do)

I'll let you know what else I find out. And keep us updated in the meantime.

Go Team!

P.S. When you start putting too much heat on banner or textile, you'll notice a very distinct waviness of the print. It will almost look like you put the substrate on a hot radiator. Start lowering your temps by -5 at a time to fix it.

dypinc

We have an HP 360 Latex printer, its our first wide format printer, and maybe we are just green to this whole thing but we feel like we are not getting the type of results we should be. We've been trying to print on multiple substrates and running into issues. It seems like if we do not laminate the substrate after production the ink will flake or rub off in spots. Here are some of our substrates and print issues.

Ultraflex
Vinyl(superprint/jetflex/pole banner) when handling and material bends the ink will crack and scratch off easily.

Berger Textiles
BexTex - Ink rubs off material easily, does not appear to be curing
Samba - Ink still rubs off material although not as easily.

If anyone has any ideas, information or settings that would be great. We have used all recommended profiles and have been told that they should work with our inks. We have numerous projects lined up but are fearful that they are going to just rub off and get ruined.

Thanks

There are 4 curing heat modules in the 360. If you problem are in one area of the platen then it is possible one of the curing modules is not functioning properly.

Also I would stay away for Ultraflex banner media, as it has known problem with latex printers.

MMG

Hi COLDCUTS,

Please try the following, reduce the optimizer from the substrate library (try between 8-12%) and print a test image to check the curing. If the ink is not completely dry increase the temperature. Ideally you want the lowest temperature possible to avoid deformation of the media.

If you are still unable to get good results please contact your dealer.

I hope this helps,
Best Regards.