• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 365 & Duratex Mesh Banner - Pulling my Hair out!

GamecockGrafx

History: Have had HP Latex 365 for several years and print solid vinyl banner, mesh vinyl banner (with liner), adhesive vinyl, etc. Have been using Briteline and Duratex products 95% of the time. In 2022, we printed over 2000 feet of Duratex vinyl mesh (with liner) for various projects. Usually print at 10pass and use the Duratex ICC profile.

Fast forward to Fall 2023 - had a mesh banner job come in for 660 feet - loaded the Duratex media and within two feet or so, head crash. Cleared and reloaded and same thing. Called HP Tech Support and they tried to blame it on the media and it's ICC profile. But, I told them I've used it in the past with no problems. HP did replace the head (twice) due to head strikes. Tried to up the vac pressure (from 15-60) and still same issue; curing temp is 230 and pressure 185. I was about to write off ever using mesh again when someone suggested I try a different brand ICC, which I tried, and worked - but I ended up turning away the 660 foot job.

Now, this past week, another customer wants several 25 foot mesh panels. Loaded up a new roll of the Duratex, selected the Duratex ICC and without fail, head strike/crash about 10 feet into job. Reset machine and media and started again - this time, media didn't even seem to advance and ink was everywhere. Unloaded, restarted and tore off bad mesh. Wanted to try one more time before....so, upon loading and advancing media so it hangs out of front, head crashed on right edge of media while "reading" media. At this point, I just said screw it; unloaded and went to another job. NO OTHER MEDIA HAS GIVEN THE MACHINE ANY PROBLEM.

Called my sales rep at G***CO and he said no other printer he knows is having issues, and even gave me a shop's contact who runs Duratex media exclusively. Called him today, talked some shop, and he has same machine (365) and uses same Duratex ICC profile and gave me his settings. Said he had some problems with the media a little while back and made some adjustments through trial and error and got it figured out. When I put in same settings, it started good, then, I about 10 feet in, I started hearing the head drag across the media then BANG! Head strike.

Is anyone else using a 365 and Duratex mesh? Anyone having problems with just one media? Don't know where else to turn, other than to turn away any mesh banner jobs at this point. Need to call HP Tech Support but have some reservations...and concerns.

He gave me the ICC profile settings that he runs on his 365 and said he found this to be the best after numerous tinkering, etc. I thanked him for his time, and he offered to have me come down at a later date. So, thank you for the contact!

I went back to my machine and put in the same settings. Ryan said the main issue was with the vacuum, and that sometimes he has known people to put the vac the whole way up to 90! Just depends on media, etc. Ryan's vac setting was 15.

I started a run, and after about 1/3 of the way, the head crashed again. Ripped out all of the media and went back to settings. I tried to increase the vac to 30 and tried the same job again. Before I could run the job, the machine head kept striking the media on the media LOAD. Another hard reset and manual unloading of media then reloading media like a fresh roll. This time, the job did process and again, about 1/3 of the way, a head crash.

I am really stuck. Planning on calling HP after class to start a case, but hesitant because the last time this happened they just wanted to blame the media. I want to resolve this because I do have a need for mesh banner, but it's just not worth it on my end to give up a day or two of other jobs while trying to get this one. No other media gives the machine an issue - that is the strangest part.

Anyhow, just wanted to give an update. And, I'm running a solid vinyl banner job now on the deep discounted Elite Banner material - looks good so far, but when done, will give an update on that as well.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 128
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90

RabidOne

I did have some similar issues with our 800 and as well as setting the vacuum high I also set the take up roll to "always tension"
Seems like the setting to only have tension when the roll advances would allow the media to bunch because of the heat, and cause head strikes.

GamecockGrafx

I did have some similar issues with our 800 and as well as setting the vacuum high I also set the take up roll to "always tension"
Seems like the setting to only have tension when the roll advances would allow the media to bunch because of the heat, and cause head strikes.
Thanks RabidOne - I'll try that.

citysignshop

Tough job....troubleshooting. I see one thing worth mention, and you called it first!
NO OTHER MEDIA HAS GIVEN THE MACHINE ANY PROBLEM
so, have you tried other mesh?
If Duratex prints ok for 10', then something is probably happening at 7'....or perhaps right from the start! tracking, roll tension, heat....
(Caveat: I am a relative newb to Latex, but have run a lot of machines over 41 years. )
Is Duratex now rolling the media tighter, or looser, or unevenly?
If the heaters 'came back on' full tilt after the initial warm-up, could that soften the media enough to cause a wave, or uneven tension?
If your take-up and feed are ok with all others, then doesn't seem they could be causing this. Good uck!

ikarasu

I second low heat / less passes. I find duratex tends to lift off of the backer with too much heat.

I also find for media like olperf andnmesh banner... The least amount of suction is the best. Too much suction tends to make it buckle and cause these issues.

Have you stood and watched it print? See where / if it starts to lift, or what happens right before it crashes.

From the photos it looks like it's right by the edge guards that hits... I'm assuming it lifts up after the guard and then the carriage grabs it.

You could get a second pair of edge guards and make a wing - we did that for our traffic materials and it helped hold it down.
- eBay sells them for 1/10 the price of official HP ones... Or at least they did.

No longer use our 360 as we have a 800 now! But I'd go with lower heat, slower passes, turn suction back to what it originally was, and invest in a pair of edge guards to extend them.

I'd also ask Grimco for another rroll of duratex if you've only had issues with this 1 roll - theres been a few times the cheaper media's started to buckle when they weren't in a climatized area.... The moisture content changes which makes it react to heat differently.

I learned the hard way by storing rolls in my garage... Had 4-5 different materials get screwed up and had to throw them away, was having the same issue as you .. opened a brand new roll and it was fine. Now I keep all my materials in a heated / controlled room.