• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 370 Bad Trailing Cable - Help

Jack Knight1979

Hey Gang,

I've been fighting a bad trailing cable for years on one of my 370s. Thankfully through various adjustments to the cable I have been able to band-aid it along, but it's finally done. I bought the replacement cable online for 250.00. The replacement of the cable went well with no issues - but now the printer won't print. It will start up and run as normal, but will not print. Do I need to reset something in the service menu for this cable to work?

Thank you for the help!

greysquirrel

I did not know that you could buy that part separate from the incline assembly. The cost seems suspicious. Did you purchase from HP? If it starts up without any errors then the main board is communicating with the carriage board. If there was a problem you would get an error. Does the printer move like its trying to print?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Ere

Jack Knight1979

The machine doesn’t throw an error, but doesn’t print. Before the machine prints it will run the "checking printer" self test. During this process something isn't passing and the printer cancels the print.

I've pinned out the new cable and the OEM cable, they both pin-out the same. Except that my OEM trailing cable has broken apart and has high resistance numbers on the connections as it's frayed, cracked and over all just sad.

Last edited:

Drazen Sapina

The machine doesn’t throw an error, but doesn’t print. Before the machine prints it will run the "checking printer" self test. During this process something isn't passing and the printer cancels the print.

I've pinned out the new cable and the OEM cable, they both pin-out the same. Except that my OEM trailing cable has broken apart and has high resistance numbers on the connections as it's frayed, cracked and over all just sad.

Had the same problem on the same printer, try with the new cable but in the end I just turn the old cable on the other side.
Still works.

Drazen Sapina

It is better to buy old used cable instead of a new replacement one (not original)
On SMK1 people change it so there is a lot of them laying around.

MikePro

$250 for a ribbon cable?!? Oboy.
any sort of kink/fray in those things will cause issues. I can't imagine OEM being much different than a 3rd party, if not exactly identical.

as long as the pins/spacing/guage of the lines are identical, then maybe your pins aren't making proper contact somehow?