• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 5000 help please

kra

I just purchased an HP 5000 and am wondering if I can use it at all without 3rd party rip software. I will be getting rip software soon but wanted to try it out now.
When I send anything to the printer it shows it is receiving but doesn't print.
It will print demos and I saw it printing from autocad before I bought it so I am sure it works I just don't know anything about it yet.
I have it connected through a parallel port for now but will eventually use the jetdirect network card.
Thanks for any help.
Randy

Sign to Go

I'm assuming you have installed the printer driver? Is this a 5000 or 5000ps? I think you need the ps model to print from photoshop etc. without 3rd party rip. I have a 5500ps and can print directly from Flexi (w/o production manager / rip) Photoshop, Coreldraw, Illustrator etc, Just like I sent them to a desktop printer.

Jim

kra

Thanks for the replies.
This is not the ps version so I guess I need a rip before I can use it.
Any suggestions on best rip to use with this machine?

Randy

Matt Cuellar

Not true.

You can still print through the HP GL/2 driver (non-ps) in all Adobe applications, but it doesn't ensure color consistency like the ps version of the driver. You might want to verify that you have the right driver installed from HP's website or check your parallel settings. I'd definitely recommend running it through the Ethernet connection for faster processing and spooling. Also, I would definitely recommend a 3rd party RIP to ensure color consistency and to give you more tools than the HP GL/2 driver can give you. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call or shoot me a PM. Good luck!

Matt Cuellar

In regards to a RIP software, I'd recommend Wasatch. You can get a nice HP-only edition with 6 months of free tech support for about $1,500.

kra

Thanks Matt
I will keep working with it and see if I can get it to print before buying rip
Randy

I too would recommend interfacing the 5000 series via ethernet rather than Parallel port for better throughput.

It also will allow you to use a cool capability of the 5000/ 5500 series, called WebAccess. It allows you to send files to the printer without a driver or RIP. In the non-PS versions, you must use Raster file formats, such as TIF or JPG (in the PS version of the printer, you can send Postscript files as well, such as PDF and EPS).

Bob

kra

I got the printer networked and printing.
Thanks for the help. I was trying to print the wrong type of files.
Works great now!
I looked at the web access printing but didn't know how to upload the files to print. How exactly do you print the files once you have the web access connected to printer? I am really a newby at this.

Randy

Matt Cuellar

Bob, can you advise on this? I haven't looked at Web Access in such a long time that I can't even remember off the top of my head. All I know is it's really cool! :smile:

It could not be a whole lot simpler.

Open a browser window (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc), and in the address bar, punch in the IP address of the printer on your LAN. This should open the WebAccess browser interface.

In the left vertical menu, click on the Submit Job link located on the Information Tab. In the resulting page, browse to the raster file that you want to print, then click the Print button at the bottom of the page.

Bob

kra

Bob

When I bring up my web access page it does not give me a submit job option.
Only pending or stored jobs.
I can check info on printer such as ink levels, etc. or reprint previously printed job but I still can't figure out how to print a new file from it.
Thanks for your help.

Randy

I see now that you have the Designjet 5000, and not the 5500. Without researching it, I cannot be certain, but it is possible that the job submission functionality is something that HP added to the 5500, and was not present in the 5000 series. I will try to look into this, and post any findings.

Bob