• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 5500 UV for wraps?

oc63rag

Has anyone tried using their 5500 UV for wraps? I remember seeing a vendor mention a media/lam combo that was supposed to work but it seems like any aqueous ink would be risky. I also wondered how well the vinyl would conform to curves and I don't remember any mention of air release.
Just curious.

animenick65

Not aware of ANY media and lam combo that works. Most of the inkjet receptive media is just too thick and doesn't comply well. We use the 3m changeable media here and dont go over anything more than simple curves. There is a reason the Rolands and such are popular for wraps. The 5500 was really designed for indoor and fine art signage. Great for making a giclee but not so great for wraps.

Pro Image

Media One has a wrap/lam combo that is made to work with the waterbased inks......

I dont know the web address off the top of my head........

Checkers

I wouldn't do it. However, using aqueous "pigmented" inks for wraps may work short-term. But, my experience is that even they will fade in as little as a couple of weeks, or they may last for years. It just depends on how much UV exposure they're subjected to.
I did some printed graphics for a client that needed them for a 2 week, outdoor tradeshow display in Vegas. They were printed on a HP 5000 using HP's "UV" ink and laminated with a 10 mil "UV" polycarbonate laminate. When we got them back, there was significant fading.

Checkers