• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hp 5500 UV, Ink comes off?

Dice

We have an HP 5500ps with UV ink. After printing, even letting the prints dry for a day, the ink smears off with a finger touch.

Is this normal? The heater seems to be broken, but seems like the ink should completely dry after a day. So this begs the question do i need some sort of special UV dryer for the UV inks?

Thanks,

-Dice

The HP designjet 5500 with pigment (UV) ink only uses the front platen heater when printing on certain medias, which are defined on the printer when loading the media.

Are you printing on media that is intended for aqueous pigmented ink? If not, the media coating (if any) will not allow the ink to bond, and will simply wipe off.

Bob

Dice

Thanks for the info Bob. Good to know about the front heater. Which media profile uses it?

It should be AQ printable paper. But I guess it's possible i was sold something different.

I've always just used what i thought was the equivalent media selection. HP photo paper i think is the selection.

Billct2

The 5500 has a heater?
I have a 5000 and as long as the material is coated material meant to be used in a aqueous printer it's just about dry coming out of the machine.

omgsideburns

UV ink needs UV light to cure... my printer has two super bright hot lights on the carriage to cure the ink.. or I've misread something here.

The terminology confusion stems from HP's using the term 'UV Ink' to describe their Pigmented Aqueous ink for the Designjet 5000/ 5500 printers. It is not UV ink as commonly referred to today, but is water-based pigment ink.

As far as the 5500 heater, as I recall, it is used in a special print mode called Production Mode (as opposed to productivity mode) on certain papers.

Bob

Bill Modzel

My guess would be that you have the wrong material. Some gloss materials are aqueous coated, but only for the dye inks. The pigmented inks will never fully adhere to it.

And to second what Bob said. These are not UV curable inks but pigmented UV Stable inks. I have both on my HP5000.

Dice

Is there anything i should specifically look for when ordering HP UV Ink printable media?

What paper would you recommend?

RBDesign

Sound like you are not using the right coated materials for these printers. Check with Fellers they offer some Media for Aquas/Pigment (UV) ink printers.

--rbd

premiercolour

Merchant Member
We've been distributing Compatible HP5000/5500 UV & Dye ink for the past eight years. We are one of the oldest compatible hp5000/5500 manufacturers.

Compatible Cartridge UV $90 shipped
Dye $60 shipped

Refillable cartridges are available. $35 each there after, you pay $90/liter UV, $60/liter Dye.

Francis Kao
Fieldcenter Inc
sales@fieldcenterusa.com
949-209-7306