• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hp 5500ps

mjarmentasr

I'm looking into buying a used HP 5500PS. As this is an Aqueous based printer and I will be looking to make outdoor real estate signs made from 6mm Coroplast with adhesive backed vinyl, my question is: Is there a method or a modified vinyl that I can use that will give me something close to the weathering a sovent based printer would give me? I know I should be using a solvent or alcohol based ink, but solvet printers are so expensive and Im just getting started. The 5500 is available for $700 with about $600 of ink. As long as the test prints look good, I think it might be worth the investment of buying this unit. But Can I print on adhesive backed vinyl? And if so will it last? Is there a protective coating I can apply to the vinyl once its printed if necessary?

Any Advice would be appreciated.

Mike in So Cal

Robert Boyd

I used a HP5500 UV for short term outdoor before we had a solvent printer. We used thermal laminate. We did have a few premature failures but it would hold up for about a year. I am sure other people had better or worse results. This was a UV printer (pigmented HP ink as opposed to Dye HP ink) I am sure that cold laminate would do better, There are adhesive back materials available. Check to see if the printer available is UV. Don't confuse the HP5500UV with a true UV printer, they are not

Tony McD

Also had a 5500 uvps....it was a workhorse.
Tried a lot of vinyls before trying the 3m 8522 and 8519 laminate, and had prints last for several years.
Left the lam about 1/4" over all around to seal the print down.
Only used it on flat surfaces....never tried any curves or compound corners, so any type of wrap may be out.
It's pricy stuff, making it hard to be competitive with a solvent print.
In my experience if you use the less expensive vinyl, you might get a year out of the prints.

That's a pretty good deal on the printer, if it doesn't have a lot of use.
Inks and printhead/cleaners are expensive.

Other than changing inks and print heads, the drive belt deteriorated and was able to replace it myself.

If this printer isn't already using uv inks (dye inks will fade in a month or two) I would pass and look for a used ecosol printer.

Jack Knight1979

buy an older ecosol machine if you want outdoor stuff. Print quality is solid on a 5500, but color durability is the worst. Substrate cost is very high as well.

mjarmentasr

Thanks guys

buy an older ecosol machine if you want outdoor stuff. Print quality is solid on a 5500, but color durability is the worst. Substrate cost is very high as well.

This is what I thought. I wanted to buy this so badely. But Everything ive learned in the last month screams either solvent or eco-solvent inks. Thanks everyone. Ive never heard of ecosol. i will check that out. till now the only companies ive been finding used solvent machines are Roland, and Mutoh. All really old and heavily used. Yet still expensive! Im thinking about buying a new Mutoh 1204plus 48". Its the cheapest new printer i've found. But it is still retailing for $7000 after I factor in the machine, Ink Cartidges, and the service aggreement. whew, that a big pill to swallow................

premiercolour

Merchant Member
This is what I thought. I wanted to buy this so badely. But Everything ive learned in the last month screams either solvent or eco-solvent inks. Thanks everyone. Ive never heard of ecosol. i will check that out. till now the only companies ive been finding used solvent machines are Roland, and Mutoh. All really old and heavily used. Yet still expensive! Im thinking about buying a new Mutoh 1204plus 48". Its the cheapest new printer i've found. But it is still retailing for $7000 after I factor in the machine, Ink Cartidges, and the service aggreement. whew, that a big pill to swallow................

Make sure the 5500 printheads are in good working order. $180+ each from HP or about $100 on eBay with expired packaging. There are six pieces if you find one from someone's garage that all heads are dried up. That's least $600 plus inks. Say inks are $180 from HP and $67.50 a cartridge from us. Look into the carriage belt and pulley, not that expensive to fix for about $500 replaced as they are wear and worn part. Print quality is great, a work horse. A customer has 20 of them running three shifts. Never let down with proper maintenance.

We have a 48" Mutoh Valuejet and 54" laminator for $10,000 if you're interested. It is ready to go. I'll throw in inks & media for you to get started.

#81 Printhead
http://www.premiercolour.com/hp-81-cyan-dye-printhead-and-printhead-cleaner-c4951a/

#81 680ml dye ink cartridge
http://www.premiercolour.com/5000-5500-dye/

Bulk Ink Setup for Mutoh using four colors 48~64"
http://www.premiercolour.com/muth-v...38-bulk-ink-system-for-4-colors-4-cartridges/

vladio

I use a 5500 uv and it is a workhorse. I started with an Encad III 36" 15 years ago and had just about every Encad that was made. I'd still have the 850 had they not of discontinued the light and medium dilution inks.

i bought the 5500 a few years ago and really like it. I do miss the simplicity of the 850 as the 5500 likes to dictate certain things - not a fan of loading paper on the 5500. But, the speed and quality are very good.

my suppliers like to press the fact the it's "old" and "unsupported". In one ear and out the other. 85% of what I print is on polypropylene, water resistant matte or satin - indoor posters. These prints hold up very well and my customers love it. I do do some outdoor stuff and have had equally good results. I did a bunch of small stickers for a friends archery club a couple years ago and saw one a few weeks ago on a car. Still looked like the day they came off the printer. I do use a uv resistant pressure sensitive laminate but a friend that has a Roland Eco-solv always laminates his as well.

i always ask the customer what their expectations are if they want to use the graphic outdoors. If its something that they want to use for more than a couple years I outsource the printing to a good friend that owns a solvent printer.

My opinion, there's two ways of looking at. I can buy a new Eco, latex... Printer and spend $20k on the hardware that uses lower cost consumables or use the aqueous 5500 with pigmented inks, spend a little more on consumables but not have to cover a lease/finance payment. I think if you're just starting out, not being neck deep in overhead is the way to go. This is my opinion and its worked for me very well.

Last edited: