• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 60" Latex Printer & Choosing Software for PC

Suz

Hello All!

:supersmilie:

We're getting ready go close the "Deal" on a new HPL25500 60" Latex printer!

We have to choose a RIP program, and I'm still trying to decide on Flexi-Print 10 and the Onyx Software. Am I correct in thinking that the Onyx has designing features and the Flexi Print 10 is mainly a Rip and print program? If that is correct, than the difference in price makes sense.

For Onyx users that know something about Flexi and Onyx, please tell me if you can do a lot more with the Onyx? If I start with the Flexi, will I soon wish I'd gotten the Onyx?

The Computer we plan to use for now is a PC with Corel X3 Suite. We have Adobe Illustrator CS2 in the shop as well, but on another computer. We like to keep Illustrator on a separate computer as it tends to fight with Corel when on same computer. I also have Macromedia Freeheand 10 (an older program but I like it!).

The program that I use to design most often is Corel nowadays.

It would be convenient to have a program that does it all, even if it costs more. If we don't get a full Design/Print/Rip Program to run the HP Latex machine, what is the best way to use Flexi Print 10 along with a separate Design program?

If you have any input or points to consider, please post.

Or, if you just want to list which RIP/Design Combo program you use the most, if you are happy with it, that will help too. Of course please list which platform too, PC or MAC. Not to start an argument about which is best (PC or MAC) but I'm considering just buying a Mac with Software. It has been a while since I ran a Mac though.

Thanks for your insight!
Sue

Freese

From a casual user of Flexi - and a heavy user of Onyx, I would recommend Onyx.

It's simple, powerful and alot more stable than Flexi. (version 10 of both)

I also use Onyx Cut Server with my FC8000 and it integrates with ease.

The only reason I would consider Flexi is if I needed it to design, which is a moot point seeing as I use Adobe Suite.

let me know if you have specific questions, I'd love to help.

SignBurst PCs

Sue, we have customers who use both Flexi and Onyx and both have their advantages and fans. There are a lot of considerations when choosing one over the other.

It sounds as you are pretty green in this area. If you would like to give me a call and we can talk for 10 minutes, I would be happy to discuss the differences with you.

Suz

JHill,

Thanks for your help. I had it back-asswards, haha! So now I feel better about the idea of using Flexi. I found it has modules. You can move up to add cut module if you get a cutter, correct? It helps to communicate with users of the software. Thanks again for your input!

Suz

drs, thanks a bunch for your input. Yes, I'd love to ask you a few questions when I have a bit more time. Thanks for being there (here!).

Suz

Hi Casey. Yes, pretty green. But green is my favorite color. :)
I will give you a call. Thanks so much!

ProColorGraphics

Not to go a stray, but you can get Caldera VisualRIP+ installed and ready to go on a new Mac Mini for under $3k from Advantage. I love it with my L25500!

Suz

Thanks Matt, you are not going astray at all. Thanks for the comments. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. What people love to use and why. I appreciate it!

signswi

Onyx 10.1 is working wonderfully with our L25500, no complaints. Runs great, the .1 update to 10.0 fixed the L25500 issues and put in place another improvement to the PDF engine if you like PDF workflows (which I do). Avoid Flexi, the choice is Onyx or Caldera. Flexi is junk.

VTSigns

I agree with signswi. Stay away from Flexi if you are only wanting it as a RIP. I am running it right now with my Latex printer and its just okay. I don't really like the functionality of the RIP at all. I will be moving to either Onyx or Caldera in the next couple weeks.

Suz

Signswi & Signspot,

Thanks for posting your thoughts about Flexi. I'm having my doubts now. The price is the reason I'm thinking about it. My tech says Wasatch is a good RIP for this printer too, and in the price range that the Flexi is in, around $1000.00 anyhow (?). She likes the Onyx for the PC and of course most everybody here likes it best too. But Onyx is going to put me way over budget and it was most important for me to get my Tech paid. So, what do you think about Wasatch? Thanks! -Sue

BrighamSmith

Sue, we are using Wasatch with the L25500 in our shop. We like the job it does and prefer it to Onyx, which we have to use with another printer. You mention being close to a 'deal'. If it is not solid or falls through, I'd recommed checking in with Global Imaging. They offer the printer, RIP, supplies and service. We already had Wasatch but have been using Global for all our L25500 needs. We've been impressed with our dealings with them.

Suz

We use Caldera. Works really good.

Colorado, thanks for your input. I checked that one out too, since lots of people have mentioned it to me in my search for a machine. Many say it is "the best" if you use a Mac, if not, then go with the Onyx.

I decided that I just won't buy Software yet. I'm going to use the 30 day Onyx trial, as some have suggested, and use the time to make up my mind.

Flexi seemed somewhat troublesome from the posts written. Someone else said it was buggy, someone else said it runs smoother with latest updates. Guess I'm gonna avoid it for now as I'm not sure.

Decided against the Wasatch because documentation (I think from HP's website) does not list it as having any control over PMS colors and that is a big deal with me. If I dial in my PMS colors, I want to know that I'm getting as close as I can get.

Thank you all!!! :signs101::U Rock:and you are:cool1:
:Oops:Let me contain myself...I mean :thankyou:

Leasing Company has my paperwork now.

Suz

thanks Brigham,

Yes, what you are saying is in line with what I have heard, lots of people like it. But the PMS color thing I saw worried me.
So, my gut feeling is to go with the Onyx and sample it for now, also try to get a look at the Caldera. I used to love working on Mac computers. We'll see on that one. Just too much for my little green brain right now. Haha!

Sue, we are using Wasatch with the L25500 in our shop. ..

dypinc

Decided against the Wasatch because documentation (I think from HP's website) does not list it as having any control over PMS colors and that is a big deal with me. If I dial in my PMS colors, I want to know that I'm getting as close as I can get.

Thank you all!!! :signs101::U Rock:and you are:cool1:
:Oops:Let me contain myself...I mean :thankyou:

Leasing Company has my paperwork now.

If PMS colors are critical for you, you might want to take a look at ColorGate. With Colorgate and a Spectro you can measure spot colors (with replace by LAB) from a pantone book or anything including paint chips and get a nearly exact match with the L25500. I can for example read the lab values for 21 Orange for example and get a very close match with the L25500. I get unbelievable Reds and Oranges with this rip. I have a client that uses PMS2736 and can get a perfect match and also can change how it prints based on the viewing light temps.

I also have noted that ColorGate gets the highest ratings from HP.

Since I have found all the twicks in the ColorGate RIP I have not even used the Fiery FX 4.5 rip lately. So if anybody is interested in a Fiery FX 4.5 RIP I could be persuaded to sell it.