• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 8000 Printhead Issues

M&J Sign Co.

Our HP DesignJet 8000 is having some printhead issues. Two printheads went out a couple months ago (Black and Light Magenta), and our supplier had them shipped off for cleaning. They came back, and worked fine for a while. Then two (Black and Cyan) went out again. They had been working fine just the day before, and because the black had been one of the two cleaned, our supplier's tech guy thought it might be an issue with the capping station. It wasn't, and we ended up buying a new capping station in addition to two new heads.

Now, the Yellow and Light Cyan are out. The owner of our company is reluctant to spend more money on new heads. So I have a few questions:

1. What is the normal lifespan of these printheads? This printer has been with the company since 2008, and has not printed every day. Normal maintenance has been performed since we've had the printer, and these issues are the first we've had with the printer (as far as I know - worked here since 2010, but was told all was well until now).

2. Is there a place to get quality printheads for a relatively low cost? We replaced the Black and Cyan from a middle-costing company, but they have since upped their prices. All the cheap ones are overseas and require wire transfers - are places like alibaba.com legit for buying these expensive pieces of equipment? On these forums, I saw some posts about Konica Minolta heads, with conflicting information as to whether they were compatible.

3. Because we can print from Flexi 8 using just CMYK, is it worth switching the still working Light Magenta head to the Yellow spot? Would that even work? It seems to me that it would have to print a lot of "yellow" jobs to flush out the LM in the head, but eventually it could work - if it didn't completely screw things up.

M&J Sign Co.

Did I do something wrong? Why is there no response? Does no one have any idea how to help? These forums have been helpful in the past when searching for solutions to other issues, but I'm not seeing that with my post here.

Robert Gruner

M&J

It's like being between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea when it comes to HP8000's. They were a bust from day one. HP had considerable success with the 9000 for a couple of years before launching the L25500 latex printers. Shortly before the launch of the L25500, Seiko oem'ed HP the 8000 to placate users who were looking for a printer a tad cheaper than the 9000. The printheads were 1/2 the size of the 9000 and durn near as expensive. The product has been discontinued and I really don't have a clue re: the source for printhead replacement. It might be time to bite the bullet and look for new printer. You can purchase a new L26500 today for around $15,500 (with HP rebate). Replacement printheads will run around $100.

Wish I had better news.

Bob Gruner
Nusign Supply

chenysing

if you have not replacing capping assy (not capping station) in the past year or two. replacing them would make sure you have a good seal for all printheads. secondly the capping station should be adjusted correctly then you should not any problem. if any question you could call me or email tntran@hotmail.com

kimhoong

printhead issues

if you have not replacing capping assy (not capping station) in the past year or two. replacing them would make sure you have a good seal for all printheads. secondly the capping station should be adjusted correctly then you should not any problem. if any question you could call me or email tntran@hotmail.com

Our machine also have these problem, dont know whether our capping station were adjust correctly,
Do you know to check whether it has install correctly? Thank you.