• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hp 9000 capping problem?

joestees

my hp 9000 says "service needed capping unit" it just got cleaned up a few days ago everything has been fine it prints fine? my magenta is at like %4 thats about the only thing i see wrong that could maybe effect anything..
everything looks fine the ink overflow is almost empty..

anyone have any idea's? ive re-cleaned it like twice making sure the tops and everything are super clean.

should i put some cleaning solution in the capping unit caps ? someone on another forum i read said to put a little in the capping station units and let it sit for 30 minutes or so then do a PH clean and then print..

Freese

my hp 9000 says "service needed capping unit" it just got cleaned up a few days ago everything has been fine it prints fine? my magenta is at like %4 thats about the only thing i see wrong that could maybe effect anything..
everything looks fine the ink overflow is almost empty..

anyone have any idea's? ive re-cleaned it like twice making sure the tops and everything are super clean.

should i put some cleaning solution in the capping unit caps ? someone on another forum i read said to put a little in the capping station units and let it sit for 30 minutes or so then do a PH clean and then print..

I am not very knowledgable in this printer, but is there anyway you can tell the printer you replaced it to trick reset the counter?

joestees

i dont know ive tried to look through the lcd menu and cant see anything about it. I've tried turning it off and on and all the basic stuff telling it i cleaned it cleanign it multiple times etc.. cleaned the washers on the other end of the printer too thinking they might leave some ink on the printheads and cause it to think it was the cappign station.. run out of idea's now :/

Bill Modzel

Are you sure that you don't need new seals? They do wear out and flatten so they don't seal tightly against the print heads. They're fairly inexpensive if I remember correctly and are very easy to change. You just pop them off.

allamericantrade

The tread your referring to was about printhead issues. I have used the filling capping trick and has helped my printheads after power outages, vacations, etc. It couldn't hurt to try it. I havent had your issue to know a fix as of yet but what have you to loose other than time and capping fluid.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
The printer keeps track of the usage of each part. HP put a function in the menu of the printer to tell you when it reached the end of life that HP decided for each part. This message is telling you that HP feels your capping station has reached the end of its life and should be replaced. There is a way in the service menu to reset the counter to get rid of the message. Depending on how your capping station is working it may or may not actually need to be replaced.

Typestries

you need to reset the counter for the capping station....you need to get into the service menu. Do you have a pdf of the service manual?

BrushedRed

If I remember correctly Access the service menu with " CANCEL - SHIFT - CANCEL - CANCEL" Password is " < > SHIFT OK "

In here you should be able to find your counter for the capping station.

joestees

awesome thank you i will try it in a few days when i get back to the shop.
I do not have the service manual sorry.

i did have a nice member of this forum call me since he has the same printer in my same city and I went to visit him and he showed me the ins and outs of the printer and a cool cleaning kit for it i should use.

tbaker

You CAN reset the timer, but I'd recommend against it, there's a reason why it's there in the first place. Granted there's a little play in the counter, but the next step for that printer is, it will error out, and you'll need to replace it.

It's a counter, it keeps track of the number of times the head reseats itself. while they may err on the side of caution, think of it this way, the cap station is expensive, I won't lie, but it's not nearly as expensive as bricking all of your heads once they don't seat correctly, and start to dry out over a long weekend.

At the end of the day, it's your call, but keep a close eye on it, and plan on a fairly hefty expenditure of cash to get it swapped out. ( it's not the rubber seals that you need to worry about so much as the motor, which is what the tick counter is keep track of.)