• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 9000 is dying. Do we replace with HP latex or Epson EcoSolvent?

Robert Gruner

Houston newbie

Have you made a decision? Lots of good posts. Lots of good choices. Your HP9000 was a good mild solvent ink printer. It was an OEM printer from Seiko; and, was shipped by HP for a couple years prior to launching their Latex Ink line.

My advice is perform due diligence.

You have been using a mild solvent ink printer with fixed piezo printheads; therefore, you are most likely well aware of the +/- of mild solvent ink technology. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. High maintenance, slow to dry prints, 24 hours for prints to outgas before lamination, and smelly office are things I expect you are used to. Mild solvent ink print head replacement is like open heart surgery, i.e. very expensive. If you are happy with status quo, then take Jamie Power's advice and look to replace your HP9000 with one of his Seiko models.

On the other hand, if you are tired of high maintenance along with all the other nuances of mild solvent ink technology, then definately consider the HP L260 latex ink printer. I loved one poster's comment "laytex smaytex" or something to that effect. :)
Everybody is most surely entitled to their opinion; however, I would repeat, perform due diligence. I think you will find that the HP latex ink printers have definately set new standards for outdoors digital printing. The printer requires very low maintenance. The latex ink carrier is water, therefore there is NO outgassing and NO smell. The ink is spec'ed the same as most mild solvent inks to last 3 years outdoors with no laminate and 5 years with a laminate. You are most welcome to PM me and I will respond.

Bob Gruner
www.nusignsupply.com

Cmiller01

Printer
We currently have 2 HP9000's, yes one is fading away, and a HP L26500. While the L26500 is a good machine, we have had issues with the colour quality on the machine. Most common is matching the same colour to a print that has been previously printed. While our 9000's were rather good at this, we still haven't been able to duplicate the same performance on the latex. We are currently looking towards Seiko for when one of our 9000's decides to retire. We have investigated various EcoSolvent machines, inks, but keep heading back to the solvent based machines.

I have the same problem with our HP 26500 with regards to the colors matching to a print that was previously printed. We do alot of repeat jobs and this is a pain in the butt! We go through printheads like crazy because I notice our reds turning pink. We need to get a second machine, but it wont be another L26500. I hate to go back to solvent,because of the health hazards but Im afraid we may have to. Im looking into any other options besides eco-sol if I can help it but the color has to be consistent!

Kwiksigns

wookie
I can match the color well with out 26500... The environment the printer is in will make a huge difference. too much humidity, too little, temp. yadda yadda. It will affect the color from day to day if it differs. I think the printer is great. I know that when I send it to print, I don't even have to check on the damn thing unless I hear some beeps.

Cmiller01

Printer
I can match the color well with out 26500... The environment the printer is in will make a huge difference. too much humidity, too little, temp. yadda yadda. It will affect the color from day to day if it differs. I think the printer is great. I know that when I send it to print, I don't even have to check on the damn thing unless I hear some beeps.

I like the machine, but the colors never matches day to day. I have to change the printheads out pretty often. I have to tweak manually my print files to match previous prints. Our room is fairly consistent, but definitely not perfect....and hard to maintain due to the amount of heat it throws out. We run ours all day and all night with limited supervision once I ensure the colors are matching. But the inconsistency really throws things off, and we are thinking about getting rid of it. All we do is repeat jobs and its really important. It has to do with the printheads degrading. We go just about go through a printhead a week with the volume we print before it is printing too poorly to get the right color-- IE we print alot of red and I notice its get pinker with not enough yellow in it....right around 1,200 ml, lucky if I can stretch to 1,500ml.
We are still working with our supplier on this....

Mal Ross

Mal Ross
ecosol ink is dangerous

ECOSOL inks have given me emphesema
I only use HP latex ...and its excellent print also use my Gerber Edge

Mal Ross

Mal Ross
is ecosol eco

I stopped smoking (pack of 20 per week only) 5yrs ago
The room was small with one door at one end and an airconditioner on
full fan at the other...good ventilation
The Mimaki has a hood /blind over the front with aircon ducting vented to
outside also.. All designing was done in another room
1 year of TS ink (Mimaki) then 6yrs with Ecosol (ITINK)
Doc says its from the ink ....and the smoking didnt help....
He says the HP will be better for me..and am selling the MiMaki
....what can I do...?