• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Adhesive Polypropylene is Peeling!

BethCanoe

I work at a museum and we print and cold laminate our own exhibit panels.

We are currently using HP adhesive polypropylene laminated to .5" gator board and it is peeling off and looks awful. At this point we're looking at re-doing a whole exhibit of panels and signs, but I need to figure out what a better material to use would be, or why this peeling is occurring before we re-do it.

We've done this for years and only started having issues in the last two years.

Would photo paper and adhesive gator be a better option? Has anyone had this same issue?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While you most likely have climate control out the yin yang in a place like that, evidently, you've either gotten bad media for the last two years, changed ink types or some other vital ingredient in your equation has mysteriously changed. If you can't afford to buy a flatbed, then outsource it to someone who has one. End of problems for peeling matters.

Billct2

Not sure why you're using poly and laminating, I would think a standard vinyl w/laminate would work better. Have you changed the laminate you use? Are you prepping the panels different?
I would try a matched vinyl/laminate.

BethCanoe

While you most likely have climate control out the yin yang in a place like that, evidently, you've either gotten bad media for the last two years, changed ink types or some other vital ingredient in your equation has mysteriously changed. If you can't afford to buy a flatbed, then outsource it to someone who has one. End of problems for peeling matters.

We need to do it in house, and did successfully for a while, so outsourcing for most of our needs isn't possible. We DO have climate control out the yin yang! Sounds like it might be bad media.

Billct2

I've always found it easier to apply adhesive back to a substrate than non adhesive to an adhesive substrate.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
If you're mounting all your prints, switch to something like Gen. Form. 223. Thick vinyl, SUPER for mounting to boards. Can't even imagine why you would print to adhesive poly pro.