• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Designjet 4500

mrmoto95

:helpHello, doing some research here. I have an opportunity to get the machine above given to me. I know it is a paper type printer but has anyone else had one and been able to use any other types of materials thru it? You know banner, vinyl etc.? Just curious, want to see if it will even be worth my time. Thanks for any info.

The Designjet 4500 is a CAD plotter. While it is a very fast device, it is poorly suited to sign related work. It uses only dye-based inks and requires inkjet coated (pricy) media.

Bob

ScotJ

The Designjet 4500 is a CAD plotter. While it is a very fast device, it is poorly suited to sign related work. It uses only dye-based inks and requires inkjet coated (pricy) media.

Bob

Any idea how much it runs per square foot in ink costs? I have the opportunity to buy one quite cheap and I'm looking at using it for doing Pop-up displays. The media costs the same whether for my solvent machines, or coated for indoor machines like this one.

Thanks in advance!

I would guestimate full coverage ink costs to be around 75 cents PSF on this machine. It is capable of producing nice a image, but be aware that the ink capacity of the carts is fairly small, as it was designed for doing line drawing CAD style work that consumes much less ink than graphics applications do. The machine prints like the proverbial bat-out-of-hell in terms of speed (and that's fast).

Bob

ScotJ

How fast is that? I have a JV5 we are using right not to print the same displays and it is VERY quick, dry time is the only issue.

And with this we'd be printing 100sq/ft at a time. I'd hope the carts could atleast accomedate that. The research I've done thus far indicates they take a 440ml cart? Thats not *that* small is it?

It is difficult to benchmark it's speed in terms of square feet per hour, as it is a CAD machine, and they are commonly measured in terms of engineering plots per minute.

Inks are 400ml per color for CMY and 775ml for K. That is more than enough ink for 100sf (by orders of magnitude).

Bob