• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hp designjet 500

zoiko

Hi all, i can get a 42 inch hp designjet 500.... it has a stand basket and in working condition with extra ink carts....i know its not a new/modern printer. Do you think i can make it work for indoor / outdoor projects with lamination. Maybe the ink cost wont be effective???... A guy in town has it and they don't use it anymore. they used to do airial photos of property but has no use for it anymore so asked me to make an offer....$$$$$....or do stickers for his race car...should i even bother with it

wes70

Printer uses dye-based ink. Only good for short term interior work. Ink will fade quite fast and isn't water resistant.

Actually, the black is pigment ink, but the other 3 colors are dye ink.

zoiko

So maybe i can get a ghostscript RIP and use it to print halftones and use it for my positives???. How about if i laminate could i use it for like menus for restaurants ...or will the ink not be cost effective?. Thanks for the post. I just think that i can get it real cheap, how about converting it to use sublimation inks ???.

wes70

For interior, you could laminate and get extended print usage.

Not sure about the cost of ink, but I can't see it being overly expensive.

As for sublimation inks...I don't think they can be used in HP or Canon printers because the print heads are thermal. Epsons are used because of the piezo print head.

If you can get a great buy...I would buy it. You can do short term posters, banners, and displays (interior).

zoiko

Thanks Weston, yea i will get it just to have for something atleast my kids can use it for some nice school projects...LOL. I think i read that the black was dye and the other colors pigment but i could be wrong. It is only 2 years old and i will do some vinyl on 2 race cars ...just numbers and some sponsors . Thanks again.

Bill Modzel

I have a 5000 in my shop with both the dye and pigmented inksets. I have not been able to get an opaque enough print for a positive and you
definitely can't do dye sub on them.

Short term interior is it so if your into POP stuff go for it. Remember, it's only a $3K printer brand spanking new.