• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP DesignJet 500C printing on vinyl for outdoor use

Is the HP DesignJet 500C able to print on vinyl for out door use? :help If so is it a good choice for Banners, Wraps, Etc.?

Thank You all for your option.:U Rock:

FatCat

The HP 500c is just a larger version of a desktop inkjet printer. If you print something with it and hang it/use it outside it will be faded out to nothing in a few weeks/months. So no, it would not be a choice for banners or car wraps. For those items you more than likely want a solvent, mild-solvent or eco-solvent based printer.

Average cost for a new eco-solvent printer is around $12-30,000.00 then you need a RIP to drive the printer...$2,500+, a cutter/plotter if you want to die-cut things like decals or custom shapes etc...$3,000+ and then finally a laminator $2000-$5000. Very easy to have a minimum of $20k+ invested just to get started...

MariaMartini

We used HP Inkjet at my old employer. They can print on a scrim vinyl for outdoor use but like the last poster said they don't last very long.

In my experience I had more trouble with the vinyl falling apart before the image faded.

If you have a laminater you can apply something like Accushield which will keep it from fading as quickly.

johnny_loves_amy

You can also use "Clear Shield". It is a laminate that comes in a spray can or you can apply it w/ a low nap roller, or even use it in a paint sprayer for larger jobs. I have a 42" HP 500, and we do banners for a local "Jump For Joeys" kids play center. Just banners for the kids to take home and think its cool. Try using Jexar vinyl, it works great. But outdoor use is a no no for these printers