• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP DesignJet 5500 42"

anozira02

Anyone knows about this printer? it's advertised that available with UV solvent ink-head, also can print on glossy vinyl. I want to do some vehicle graphics and wondering if this printer be ok for that...Welcome your input.

wes70

It's made for indoor prints. It's an aqueous printer, not solvent. HP used the term UV in relation to pigment inks instead of Dye inks. It can print on glossy vinyl, only if it's coated, and chances are it's for indoor prints only. Usually, only matte coated vinyl is rated water-resistant for outside use.

Artildawn

Probably not an ideal choice for wraps. The UV is a pigment base and the printer is an inkjet. It's a great printer but better suited for short term/interior products.

Also if the printer is only advertised as "available with UV" that means it's probably currently rigged for dye. To convert it to UV would require a new ink tubing system (about $400), 6 new printheads (about $120 ea), and 6 UV ink cartridges ($120-$300 depending upon 3rd party or OEM).

Billct2

It can be used for outdoor work with UV inks and laminate, but there are better choices.
And I definately wouldn't use it for vehicles.

Bly

I used to use mine for outdoor signs, good media and lam required, flat surfaces only. You can get approx 3 year life depending on sun.

Clear Choice

I have a HP 5500 with UV Inks and have printed outdoor banners....the shop across the street had to have signage ASAP. The outdoor banner on white vinyl scrim material lasted about 12-18 months in full sun before it really showed fading....with no laminate, just a clear coat spray on it.

I don't promise long term stuff and it's not for wraps or permanent signage.

Has anyone made quick short run bumper stickers on the HP 5500???? I'm thinking the adhesive 4 mil stock with an over laminate.

I do print full color on adhesive vinyl and add a clear laminate for quick color magnetic car signs...again, no guarantees for long term....but since the magnetic material doesn't carry much of a guarantee.....

I use mine for outdoor stuff.
W/ a good laminate it is ok on vinyl.
Not for production work

Artildawn

You can get approx 3 year life depending on sun.

I'm in Hawaii and if we put something out it's almost certain to be in direct sunlight at some point during the day. Even with UV inks and laminate I would promise more than a few months before visible fading is apparent. Of course your mileage may vary. I do use it for outdoor banners but only for short term use, such as dated events like concerts or night club promos.