• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hp designjet 5500 good/bad?

dakotasignwerks

i have been browsing site for some time, and now have a question. i am looking into the digital graphic arena as we currently farm it all out. i am curious if anybody is using or has heard pros and cons on the designjet 5500 UV printer. any help to a new guy would be greatly appreciated.

Valentino

every 2 sets of cartridges you have to replace the printheads.

print heads are about 125.00 per color, oem ink is kinda expensive as well.

wes70

The 5500 / 5000 is a workhorse. Lexjet has ink for this printer and you don't have to re-profile.

Matt Cuellar

Dakota,

Great printer, true workhorse. There are 3rd party inks available that are truly compatible with HP OEM ink that are about 1/3 less the price than HP OEM ink. Great starting point for digital printing, durability will be an issue if you're looking long-term. FYI, we have a 5500ps 42" printer for sale that we took on trade from a local govt agency. $4k if you're interested. Good luck!

dakotasignwerks

every 2 sets of cartridges you have to replace the printheads.

print heads are about 125.00 per color, oem ink is kinda expensive as well.

what is the reason for needing to replace the printheads? and do you need to replace them even with the aftermarket inks?

thanks for the replies folks!!

Matt Cuellar

Thermal printheads are only rated for about 2400ml of ink before they dry out and stop working. Even when you use 3rd party ink, they still need to be replaced. But don't fret, unless you're printing 8-10 hours a day, a full set of ink can last 6-12 months meaning that you won't need to replace printheads for 18-36 months which aint to bad!

BoogerB

I run genuine HP inks as the after market that I have tried is not much cheaper than my supplier, and usually run out faster and do not look as good. I run probably 3 and sometimes 4 (yellow) cartridges of ink before changes and before banding appears. The banding is most apparent in dark colors, especially reds. Our prints aren't going to be the 100% best available, but I'm not selling prints either (find my introduction thread to get a better idea of why).

I have 3 5500's that I run all day. Ours run 8-20hrs a day and rarely break. I have had HP out here several times over the 3 years I've had the machines, for various reasons. Typically I'm printing cheaper water resistant poly, and an adhesive backed Kodak poly for mounting on coro, etc. Usually 6-8 rolls of a WR Poly a week on one printer, 4-6 rolls of the adhesive on the other, and on the 60" I'll run 3-4 rolls of different medias a week. Thats a conservative estimate I'd say.

The prices are dropping quick on them, and I'd bet you'll see more for sale in the 4000 and cheaper range soon (42" versions).

I'd also suggest you deal with, or at least attempt to with Unica Digital. I just recently purchased some parts from them and couldn't be happier. Great guys up there to deal with and very knowledgeable about the HPs and other digital printing options.