• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Designjet 5500ps UV

IOWG

Hiya does anyone still run one of these out there?? need a bit of advice if possible please. Dee

I haven't run one in years now, but at one point, years ago I supported a fleet of them. I'd be happy to try to help. Feel free to PM me, or post your question publicly.

The DesignJet 5000 Series was revolutionary for it's day.

IOWG

Excellent thank you, having a bit of trouble with media really, Bought the machine a few weeks back ordered some photo paper and canvas roll which said they were compatable with dye/pigment uv and to be frank the quality is apauling, the materials i actually cut into a4 sheet and ran it through my destjet and came out stunning,

The photo paper just smudges and the canvas roll just bleeds, im running CISS UV bulk inks which came with the machine and was told these were great inks, being a solvent man myself i dont know too much where water based is concerned, also just to add im using Shiraz rip and have tried most of the profiles to not much succses,

Any help regarding the best media that you guys used with good effect would be awsome please... T.I.A dee

I have no experience with 3rd-party bulk inks on the Designjet 5000 machines, but at the end of the proverbial day, inkjet printing always comes down to the specific chemistry between the inkset and media where the ink is going. If you are using a media that is known to work with the HP UV or Dye inkset, such as an HP photobase paper or Sihl / Intelicoat paper product for aqueous inks, and the ink is not drying, or bleeding, that points back to the ink in the printer.

In that case, I would purge the 3rd-party ink and go back to OEM ink, although I am not certain that OEM inks are still available for those machines, given their age, but I would assume that they are.

Billct2

I too have not used those inks. I did use 3rd party refills (Lexjet and Bog Dog) with no problems. If the material really is correct and tested OK in another machine I would question the inks, also how long have they been on the machine?

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Excellent thank you, having a bit of trouble with media really, Bought the machine a few weeks back ordered some photo paper and canvas roll which said they were compatable with dye/pigment uv and to be frank the quality is apauling, the materials i actually cut into a4 sheet and ran it through my destjet and came out stunning,

The photo paper just smudges and the canvas roll just bleeds, im running CISS UV bulk inks which came with the machine and was told these were great inks, being a solvent man myself i dont know too much where water based is concerned, also just to add im using Shiraz rip and have tried most of the profiles to not much succses,

Any help regarding the best media that you guys used with good effect would be awsome please... T.I.A dee

Just what Castek said. These machines had its own glory days. They are known as work hoses's work horse. Simple machine, prints fast, high quality. No complaints.

1. Is the machine is good condition?
2. How old is the third party ink?
3. Are the heads ok?
4. Third party ink usually not printing too well on high glossy paper.

If the ink is unknown old, I would purge the ink due to the ink has open to the air to unknown time, we have good review third party ink from Korea, avoid high glossy paper. You should be good to go.

premiercolour_ca
949-209-7306

Posterboy

I ran one of these machines for a few years. I always found that the colours of the UV inks were quite dull. I never had those problems you've listed though. It does sound like the ink and the media aren't working well together though. They need a lot of love in the head cleaning and replacement, perhaps that could be a place to start.