• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Designjet 9000s WARNING! (1) Clear Media Jam

swirls

Does anyone know what would be causing this problem. When i try to print and just as the carriage move out of the capping station and about to start print it stopped and display the error message - WARNING! (1) Clear Media Jam. I check the media, carriage and everything seems to be in good working condition. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Scott Reynolds

I just had a thought. Back in the day, I had one printer that did something similar once every few months. It was the carriage sliders getting a little sticky. They would look and feel clean and smooth. But a quick cleaning and it would come right back to life and start working again. Just a tiny bit of extra friction would throw a head strike code. Maybe something to look into.

swirls

Scott,
Thanks for the input. I am trying to print some posters on photo gloss paper. I printed a couple posters about 2 weeks ago and all went well. Now, i tried printing last night and getting this error. I did a clean on the carriage slider railing track but i didn't clean back where the capping station is. Maybe i should look back at giving a total railing clean with my swabs and some of the wiper cleaning solution. I will do that when i get back in later and let you know.
Cheers

sowinski_t

One other thing to look into, take off the covers on the control panel side (not the heater control, the printer one) and look at the where the steel belt goes around the roller. Clean (very very carefully) the roller in case there is any debris or built up dust on there. Just below that, you will find the belt and gear wheel that drives that roller; make sure you don't have any dust caked into the teeth. I cleaned out the teeth with a toothpick and used a little iso alcohol on a cotton cloth for the belt roller.
Finally (and I'm sure you already tried this) power off and then on the printer.
Good luck!

Tavomxl

Same error can't fix it

Hi everyone, Does anybody know how to solve this? I have this problem few day ago and I dont Know what to do.

TXS

GP_Oz

Old school 86:01

Take both end covers off and inspect the entire scan axis assy, uncapp carriage and move it manually end to end looking and listening for any mechanical binding

timing belt
ink/data track
steel belt - does it run true or rise and fall ?
Unlikely but check encoder scale

Media jam errors are most often not related to media jams at all.

If you power on machine with carriage in center of platten and the opposite end , can the machine home the carriage ?

What the problem is, is a mismatch between motor current used and encoder reporting.

Old school 86:01

Take both end covers off and inspect the entire scan axis assy, uncapp carriage and move it manually end to end looking and listening for any mechanical binding

timing belt
ink/data track
steel belt - does it run true or rise and fall ?
Unlikely but check encoder scale

Media jam errors are most often not related to media jams at all.

If you power on machine with carriage in center of platten and the opposite end , can the machine home the carriage ?

What the problem is, is a mismatch between motor current used and encoder reporting.

Or just a thought. Don't know if the 9000s have similiar innards but The Latex machines have a substrate jam sensor. It is a reflective square on the left hand side of the carriage. There is a sensor on the left hand side of the machine that senses that reflective patch. If something like a media jam gets in the way of it reading that reflective square it immediately stops and says there is a substrate jam and to clear it. If the sensor had been moved and is no longer reading that reflective patch that could also be your issue. Again don't know your machine but it is a HP so who knows. Alot of other things are pretty similar. We also had issues with the rails on our HP L25500(was kept in open warehouse). If the rails are even a little slow the motor can sense that it has to use too much current to move and it will think there is a jam.

GP_Oz

No they didn't have that sensor,
Back when machines were more basic...and not trying to control our minds.

I started working on the 9k/10k in their final years never saw an acutal encoder issue but many timing belt, carriage bearing issues.
One unit had gone around the clock to few times also and never and encoder, kinda like the osprey(love that printer)

Small format latex has a weak scan axis if not controlled via environment and cleaning imo.
Seen quite a few rails that turned into files and would tear up the bearings in 2-3 weeks use post replacement.
Rail wear leads to belt and motor wear,