• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hp designjet as Eco solvent printer?

anozira02

I have a Designjet 450c thinking of using it as an eco solvent printer printing on vinyl,,, have some empty cartridges flushed out and fill them with soy base eco solvent ink to see what happens to ink related parts.. Has anyone done this and worked?? or am I nuts to do it??

I would not go as far as to call you nuts, but your chance for success in this is beyond low. HP Designjet printers use thermal printheads, and that type of head is only compatible with water-based ink, as opposed to solvent or polymer-based inks. You could try to run HP Latex inks, but that printer lacks the necessary heaters that Latex ink needs.

In my opinion, you are likely to destroy the printheads with this experiment, but I've been wrong before.

That is a primary reason behind why HP invented water-based Latex ink and the printer platform needed to deliver that ink.

anozira02

Thanks for the advise guys... I also have an Hp 5500ps comes with a front heater and I read it can be used for latex printing,, however I am thinking switching out the dye ink to pigment ink to do some outdoor printing with laminating of course...