• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Designjet T520 Thermal Inkjet 24" ePrinter

Khusaini

Hi guys,

I'm currently exploring more avenues to learn more about vinyl printing. I currently have a Graphtec CE5000 and would like to add a printer mainly for small graphic stickers(cars,bikes,etc).

Due to budget constraint, I would like to know if a thermal printing inkjet such as HP Designjet T520 would work?I do not have mucb experience on printings and such.

Any kind advice on its pros and cons?

Thank you in advance.

Much love from Singapore! :)

kanini

Hi! That printer is mainly suitable for drawings, posters and such indoor stuff, and not for vinyl decals, signs etc. The Designjet 520 is also an entry-level machine and that means expensive ink cartridges/running costs (carts only 29 ml!). I think your budget might be too low if you're looking for a printer for decals, signs and other outdoor stuff. Talk with a dealer that sells solvent or latex machines and see if you have a chance to get financing if you need a printer. Don't forget you might want to laminate the decals also for longetivity. Good luck!

player

If you get a used Roland SP300V or similar you get both a printer and a cutter, as well as a good rip. May be 1-2K over budget but well worth the extra as long as it has good heads and has been well looked after.

Khusaini

Hi! That printer is mainly suitable for drawings, posters and such indoor stuff, and not for vinyl decals, signs etc. The Designjet 520 is also an entry-level machine and that means expensive ink cartridges/running costs (carts only 29 ml!). I think your budget might be too low if you're looking for a printer for decals, signs and other outdoor stuff. Talk with a dealer that sells solvent or latex machines and see if you have a chance to get financing if you need a printer. Don't forget you might want to laminate the decals also for longetivity. Good luck!

Hey Kanin, Thank you for your insights. Yes I would say my budget is relatively low...but really? No printer can do this for this budget? Hmm..

kanini

Not sure about the price level in Singapore but as Player says you might find a used Sp300V or similar for maybe 3-4 k. Don't buy a really cheap used machine, they usually need a few new heads and a couple more spare parts and you end up with spending more to get it running. Sorry, but these are not everyman's desktop printer so the prices are what they are. The cheapest Roland BN-20 starts around 6 k if I remember correctly. But talk with a dealer and see what the monthly costs are, if you have a business but not enough capital you could do well with a lease or similar.

Khusaini

A Roland BN 20 here would have cost me arnd USD8.5 here in SG. A bummer really. And we don't have much leasing option(s) here in sunny SG.Everything is either overpriced or needs to be paid in full. I guess I may have to outsource my prints for now..:banghead: