• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP FB500 Maintenance Company

VTSigns

Anyone have a lead on a company that would provide repair/service to HP flatbeds? I'm in Virginia and am looking for someone to give my printer a "tune-up". I probably need a head switched out and then just some overall preventative maintenance. I called HP yesterday and after talking to a handful of people, "they are going to get back to me with a quote", whatever that means since I didn't really specify exactly what I needed. I would really like to find a dealer that could help me. Thanks.

GP_Oz

Preventive maintenance on fb500/700...the burning question i hear alot.

You can change head yourself its very easy.

Unless there is issues with IQ or function there is not much more you can do other than start at the top of the "user maintenance" section and work your way down.
Early models i would check LVDS cable for wear (thin black version not chucky purple guy)

Blanket part replacement is not advised.

I would clean it...alot. A clean fb is a happy fb.
Filters(lamp, ebox etc), wipers, exhaust fans, RAIL. Rail bearings - keep in mind these are the sealed bearing packed with grease, rubber seals - no harsh chemical
Have i said RAIL yet ?
Half way through wiper life i flip it around to use the sharper edge on the backside.
Dirt and debris are the enemy.
Check tension on blue belt

Fb and PM its all tricky question.

Jacob

Switching a head

How easy and where did you get the head. my fb 700 has a couple of bad heads i have been putting it off and just printing slower.

VTSigns

Looks like I'm going to be taking a crack at this in the coming days. Does anyone have the technician manual for printhead replacement? I'm pretty technical and have worked on machines in the past so I think I can do it.

Turnergraphics

I think you take off the service end. Remove print head from underneath and replace. I'm sure you have to tell the machine you're going to change print heads. I have not done this yet either. But the command is probably in the tools and maintenance headings.

ChrisN

Looks like I'm going to be taking a crack at this in the coming days. Does anyone have the technician manual for printhead replacement? I'm pretty technical and have worked on machines in the past so I think I can do it.

PM sent...

VTSigns

Update...Got the head overnighted and installed it today. The actual head installation was easy itself. The calibrations afterward were a little time consuming and confusing until you start understanding what you are trying to accomplish. Printer is back to running flawlessly!

I saved myself a pile of money. HP quoted me $6000 in labor/travel. They quoted me about $1650 for the head and I was able to get it elsewhere for about $1300.

GP_Oz

Ahh...if i had of seen this earlier...

Yeahh always tighten the Y alignment screw prior to removing the head.
That way it goes back in virtually the same spot.
Then you can just run the full autoset if you cant be bothered or dont know how to do the manual adjust.

GP_Oz

attachment.php

Better than the nozzle print for sure.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 11.20.56 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 11.20.56 AM.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 363

GP_Oz

In Australia they do not not come with instructions.
Not sure what they do overseas.

In a nutshell...

Purge the channel of ink.
turn off printer
make sure 12v ink system back power is plugged in and working.
remove carriage cover
Use the supplied line lock to clamp the neg air - or all heads will drip on you
Remove the cable lock
Check the Y adjust screw is firm against the head you are removing
Remove head.
Check the orings are intact ie still in printhead interface- change if desired
replace head. - do not over tighten, do not undertighten - :p
replace cable and install cable lock
remove air line lock
Power on printer
Fill ink channel
do at least 2 purges also on that chanel
purge all channels
test print
Verify alignments

ehh..ive probably forgotten something

Turnergraphics

Update...Got the head overnighted and installed it today. The actual head installation was easy itself. The calibrations afterward were a little time consuming and confusing until you start understanding what you are trying to accomplish. Printer is back to running flawlessly!

I saved myself a pile of money. HP quoted me $6000 in labor/travel. They quoted me about $1650 for the head and I was able to get it elsewhere for about $1300.