Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP FB550 - Cold Weather problems? Solutions?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Printers' started by MarkH42, Jan 13, 2021.

1. MarkH42

MarkH42 Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    We took delivery of our HP FB550 two years ago. We do a test print every morning and several heads require multiple purges to get back to an acceptable level. This is happening more and more recently. I am wondering if this is related to the temperature in the room where the printer is. We keep the thermostat around 68 degrees during the day, but drop it to 63 or so at night. Could that be affecting the ink viscosity and making it too "thick" in the morning? If so, has anyone experimented with space heaters to warm just the area needed? Or, should we just keep the thermostat up and tolerate the extra cost? I'm not convinced temperature is the problem, but I would welcome any input.

2. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    If you keep the printer on overnight, does that keep the heads warm? I know we come in the morning with our Agfa to warm it up for about 20 min...quick purge and all good. Does the HP have an auto clean cycle?

3. Troy Lesher

Troy Lesher Merchant Member

May 23, 2018
    Texas
    The temperature will be only cause some of this problem, Humidity ( actually lack thereof), Generally during the cold weather along with Static build up is an equal partner in your heads being dry and clogged, and needing so much attention if idle too long. keep your humidity at or above 50% that helps keep inks solvents from rapid evaporation and also keeps the dust down, and static has a harder time surviving in higher humidity's. I posted a Video here not long ago about The importance of the correct environment to get the most life and efficiency out of todays Piezzo Heads, regardless of manufacturer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MarkH42

MarkH42 Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    I appreciate the advice! I am going to Home Depot to buy a humidifier as well as a device to measure humidity. It is too inexpensive a solution to not try it. I'll post results later. Thanks again!

5. Bruce Mello

Bruce Mello Many years in the Production Business

Sep 11, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    It probably won't be long before you can't get ink or parts for the HP 550
    My customers with the Vanguard VR5 D flatbed don't even do a nozzle print in the morning and haven't done a purge in months.
    They have an Auto Spray set up where it shoots a tiny mist and you can control how often it happens.
    Needs to happen frequently if you're running white.
    Several customers had printhead clogging problems with the HP inks clogging heads.
    A few of them had great success with Nazdar inks in place of HP ink.
    Bruce

6. MarkH42

MarkH42 Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    We have a couple of HP Latex roll printers and we love them. But in all honesty, the FB550 has been a disappointment - not HP's finest work and we were definitely were misled during the sales process. But after spending $90K and only having it for 24 months, we aren't in a position to replace it just yet. We may try the Nazdar inks as printhead clogging is the vast majority of our problems. If we can eliminate that problem, we'll be fine. How much is the Vanguard VR5 D?