• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP FB550 Ink Usage not adding up.

fo0t

Just Wondering how the FB550 Users are monitoring ink usage vs printed substrate.

our fb550 here is missing 2300 ml of magenta ink and 2000 ml of yellow. all other inks are within tolerance of ink purchased vs ink used.

i have a call into service right now to figure out where all my missing ink is going to.

just want to see if anyone else is having this issue.

LarryB

Have you checked your ink waste container? Your FB goes through a lot of ink in the cleaning cycles.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
How are you calculating how much ink of each color should be used? Remember, yellow and magenta are used the most by far with black being used the least in most shops. Ink usage calculations are generally not very accurate so what I am getting at is you may not being missing as much ink as you think. I would say for every 1 black cartridge I bring in for inventory, I bring in 3 to 4 each of magenta and yellow cartridges and maybe 2 cyans.

fo0t

What i noticed is that i went through a whole magenta box in 10 days.
i have 3 dead boxes of ink @ 3000 ml each, 9000 ml in total.
the printer report states ive used 6700 ml of magenta.
that leaves 2300 ml unaccounted for, which is crazy!

same goes for yellow which has 2000 ml unaccounted for.

If it is the cleaning cycles shouldnt the numbers for ink used vs dead boxes relate equally?

LarryB

Also are you verifying how much ink is in the box? I have it tell me I have 0% ink left but there is still plenty. I always open up the boxes when I get to 5% to see how much ink is actually left.

fo0t

when our printer was installed our tech told us hp fills the boxes up to 30% extra, and i always wait until the profiler reads under 2% before installing another box.

as for tracking ink im using the hp web interface and the printer events file to track ink consumption. details below.

4.1 Ink Usage Data:
Color: Blck Cyan Magn Yell LtCy LtMa Wthe
Ink Used[mL]: 3738 4931 6776 7215 7482 7858 0
Total Ink Usage[mL]: 38000

C

ColoPrinthead

I was also recently told by a Tech that HP overfills the ink containers. I have the low ink warnings turned off of our FB700 and the profiler expires before I actually run out of ink, which forces me to install a new box.

fo0t

Are you all satisfied with the fb550, from what im noticing our fb550 is a complete ink hog.

does anybody notice this?

klmjff

HP has such a racket going with these Ink boxes/profiler chips.

What we did was save all of our "expired" boxes of ink(that actually had about 25% ink left in them) and then cut the bags open and combined them into one box,
then we contacted HP and gave them the # on the box we filled up and they would send us a new profiler chip free of charge that would work with that box.

This worked every time and we saved a $^% ton of $$$$ also.

It took some extra work, but saved us money in the long run.

fo0t

would it too much to ask for your contact @ hp? for the new profiler chips?

i love our distributor but if i can cut the middle man for free chips im gonna do it.

Paul R.

Does anyone notice that when you print the same file at Indoor Plus (600x600) it shows less ink usage than when you print on Outdoor (600x300) Takes half the time to do the job, but shows a lot more ink being used.