• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP FB700 / FB500 and white on acrylic?

ForgeInc

Hey all,

I know this machine is fairly new technology, but thought I would reach out to see if anyone who owns one, or knows someone who owns one, has had successful applications of white on clear plex, cast acrylic, or similar material? We applied some pre mask to some prints we did to protect during transport, and the pre mask lifted the white ink right off. We then went to some older print samples our reseller did for us, and after a bit of picking we peeled a whole section of the print off the acrylic. Not reassuring!

Any advice or has anyone had similar/different experiences?

cdiesel

We did the same thing with non-white ink and our FB950 (basically the same machine, but the 700 and 500 are the new model). We covered some prints on acrylic with mask and yanked the ink right off...

Mspec

generally you are going to see various adhesion on different clear materials. Some acrylics will perform better than others based on what they are actually made of. I see the best adhesion on clear polycarb over anything else that is transparent. Whenever you print on clear, you should do a reverse print ( with a white overflood if using white ) and display the piece printed side in. This will give you built in protection against scratches or customer picking at the prints regardless of what you are making.

Always try to peel the protective sheets off at least a day before, all of this stuff will outgas, and you will get better performance if you let that stuff out before you print on it as well.