• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Flexi Basic Software VS ?

StickerGuy83

Hey guys, I'm still kind of new to the forum and have a couple questions that I could not find answers to in the forum or from other direct sources. Thanks for all the help, this forum has been very informative thus far.

I am about to make a purchase for a latex print and cut option. My budget allows for the HP Latex 115 Print & Cut Solution, with the HP re-branded Summa D140FX. This plotter only has three pinch rollers and has some slower speeds and acceleration. Not a total deal breaker, but i need the D series summa that has 4 pinch rollers so I can direct cut smaller vinyl jobs that are on 15" wide media, which is not possibly on the FX model. I'm not opposed to paying a little more for the Summa D140R model (which comes with the 315 print and cut bundle), I just need to know that it will not be the "Basic" flexi edition software with it. The descriptions ive read show a HP Flexi Basic Print & Cut RIP with the 115 bundle, but HP Flexi Print & Cut RIP with the 315 bundle.

Does anyone know the differences between the two software versions? I do mosty print and cut decals and stickers, which get perf cut. Im not sure if the software allows for multi-pass options, like the graphtec does. Ive never used Flexi, but it seems very user friendly. I just want to make sure I will be able to do what I need to do with what I buy, consistently.

Thanks for all the help!

StickerGuy83

Thank you, but I've read that thread, and it didn't quite explain any differences in the "Basic" version of HP Flexi opposed to the version of HP Flexi that comes with the 315. I know the differences in the cutters, thats why I want to pair the Summa D140R with the HP Latex 115 instead of the Summa D140FX that normally comes with the 115 bundle. I need to know the limitations/differences in the versions of the Print and Cut RIP's.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Sticker Guy

SAI the MFG of Flexisign on their website has a listing of what features comes with each version of the program, whether it be the HP version or the SAI version. I have attached a PDF file with this information for your review. I see you are located in NJ, we are as well and we have a demo 365 and a demo 560 and normally we have the HP version of the Summa cutter but we just sold our demo cutter and will be getting in a new one it appears by about the mid part of the week of February 24th. So if you want to come see the printer and cutter we should have all of the pieces here by that date. If you have any further questions please give me a call.

Thanks

Dave Philipps

Attachments

• hp-flexi-edition-v19.pdf
    551.6 KB · Views: 276

greysquirrel

These are bundles, I was not aware that you could swap out cutters. Dont they ship as is? The 115 and the 315 are identical printers except, ink cartridges are smaller in the 115, the 115 is end user installed and it ships with a 6 moth warranty. You have to take an online class to open up the second six months to the warranty and the 115 does not ship with ink. That would need to be purchased separately. The 315 bundle would be installed and trained by a dealer at no extra cost, depending on who you use. The 315/335 software allows you to design where the 115 is just just a print cut rip.

ikarasu

The HP Latex 315 Printer includes HP FlexiPrint and Cut RIP in the box. (PC compatible)

The 315 bundle includes cutting with flexi.

If you were to buy the 110... and then buy the summa seperately, you would not have print and cut. You could upgrade the software that comes with the non bundle, which is $50 a month to "Rent" the software, or $1500 to upgrade it outright.

Two things to note -

1 - The 115/315 do not come with a take up reel. Just incase you didnt notice that, and want the option -

2 - Do a test on your material to see the quality before buying. HP doesn't recommend rolls under 24" in width...you have to enable a special option in settings to allow it, and then it warns you print quality isnt guaranteed. I dont know if it doesnt track well, which would be an issue for cutting... or if it doesnt like narrow media for some other reason. The Absolute minimum it'll take is 10" rolls... So your 15" wide media is borderline on the minimum allowed, and well under the recommended roll width. It could be fine - I've never tried it as the smallest roll I print on is 30".... but just throwing it out there before you buy a printer and end up getting bad results.

Having owned a 110 before... I don't like them. I'd go with the 315 at least - the bigger ink carts make a pretty big difference, as well as the OMAS sensor, and skew tracking - Both would be good for cutting. The continous printing is a nice option too... you can send a job, queue up another job and send it without having to wait for the machine to finish...dry the ink, then re-warm up.

StickerGuy83

The HP Latex 315 Printer includes HP FlexiPrint and Cut RIP in the box. (PC compatible)

The 315 bundle includes cutting with flexi.

If you were to buy the 110... and then buy the summa seperately, you would not have print and cut. You could upgrade the software that comes with the non bundle, which is $50 a month to "Rent" the software, or $1500 to upgrade it outright.

Two things to note -

1 - The 115/315 do not come with a take up reel. Just incase you didnt notice that, and want the option -

2 - Do a test on your material to see the quality before buying. HP doesn't recommend rolls under 24" in width...you have to enable a special option in settings to allow it, and then it warns you print quality isnt guaranteed. I dont know if it doesnt track well, which would be an issue for cutting... or if it doesnt like narrow media for some other reason. The Absolute minimum it'll take is 10" rolls... So your 15" wide media is borderline on the minimum allowed, and well under the recommended roll width. It could be fine - I've never tried it as the smallest roll I print on is 30".... but just throwing it out there before you buy a printer and end up getting bad results.

Having owned a 110 before... I don't like them. I'd go with the 315 at least - the bigger ink carts make a pretty big difference, as well as the OMAS sensor, and skew tracking - Both would be good for cutting. The continous printing is a nice option too... you can send a job, queue up another job and send it without having to wait for the machine to finish...dry the ink, then re-warm up.

Thank you for the info! I was told by a Grimco Rep, that the 115 will come with the latest version of Flexi HP Print & Cut RIP to drive the printer, many cutters are compatible and there is no extra charge for upgrading. I was also told the same software
ships with the 315. I was also told that the software is not web/cloud based, therefore it would be on my computer without the need for internet, aside for setting up the printer.

Is this true?

ikarasu

Its a perpetual license, yes -

However its ONLY for the hp latex printer. It wont work with non HP latex printers, if you want it to run on other printers then you have to upgrade... And there is a charge to upgrade, not sure why they said there isnt.

It should work with pretty much all the newest cutters. I think you need to buy a printer with the cutter in order to get the GP print and cut version though - I'd ask your grimco rep about that to be sure.