• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa Cut D140 vs D140RL vs D140FX

mameighan

So i know the FX model is a cut down model with only 3 rollers instead of 4 and with it limited vinyl widths

Is the D140RL and D140 the same? If not - what are the differences?

Any advice would be appreciated

According to my independent research these models are re branded as HP for the HP 115 latex print and cut (FX model) and the 315 Print and Cut (D140) but someone tell me if I am wrong

Thanks

FrankW

Since summer last year, all SummaCUT-Models except the 60s and the FX-Models are equipped with a LAN-Interface (10/100BaseT, no serial interface anymore). This models are the RL-Models (L stands for LAN). You can't buy these models without LAN-Interface anymore.

The HP Latex Cutters are rebranded SummaCUTs, so the one who told you they aren't was wrong. I work at an HP- and Summa-Dealer, and I know both very well. There are a few differences: HP uses an own barcode design for OPOS-barcode, and in opposite to the 140FX, the HP Latex 54 Basic Cutter is equipped with a LAN-Interface.

mameighan

Since summer last year, all SummaCUT-Models except the 60s and the FX-Models are equipped with a LAN-Interface (10/100BaseT, no serial interface anymore). This models are the RL-Models (L stands for LAN). You can't buy these models without LAN-Interface anymore.

The HP Latex Cutters are rebranded SummaCUTs, so the one who told you they aren't was wrong. I work at an HP- and Summa-Dealer, and I know both very well. There are a few differences: HP uses an own barcode design for OPOS-barcode, and in opposite to the 140FX, the HP Latex 54 Basic Cutter is equipped with a LAN-Interface.

Thanks
I am purchasing a HP latex 115 and summa D-140. Will the D-140 read the barcodes from the 115? Seems like it will but your comment above might suggest otherwise. Any advice before I pull the trigger would be great

FrankW

Thanks
I am purchasing a HP latex 115 and summa D-140. Will the D-140 read the barcodes from the 115? Seems like it will but your comment above might suggest otherwise. Any advice before I pull the trigger would be great

The barcode is not hardware-based, it is generated by the RIP-Software. And most RIP-Softwares (current versions of Flexi, Caldera, Onyx for example) are supporting the Summa and the HP with their specialties. But, by the way: contour cutting is possible too without barcode. It is just a feature for more automation.

If buying a Latex 115, the HP Flexiprint Basic Edition will not support any contour cutting ... the upgrade to the Premium Edition then will support all common cutter manufacturers and models, as the summa and HP too.

Have you checked the prices? The additional costs for the print & cut bundles are incredible low. Could not make sense to buy a separate summa, even if buying a 315 with the non-FX Cutter.

mameighan

The barcode is not hardware-based, it is generated by the RIP-Software. And most RIP-Softwares (current versions of Flexi, Caldera, Onyx for example) are supporting the Summa and the HP with their specialties. But, by the way: contour cutting is possible too without barcode. It is just a feature for more automation.

If buying a Latex 115, the HP Flexiprint Basic Edition will not support any contour cutting ... the upgrade to the Premium Edition then will support all common cutter manufacturers and models, as the summa and HP too.

Have you checked the prices? The additional costs for the print & cut bundles are incredible low. Could not make sense to buy a separate summa, even if buying a 315 with the non-FX Cutter.

Thanks
I found that I didn't want the HP basic cutter that comes with the 115. It is basically the FX model and has limited media widths (won't take a 15" roll for example as the rollers stop at 11 and 16 so we lose material). The 315 comes with the HP latex cutter which I believe is the D140 model. Suppliers wouldn't couple the Latex Cutter with the 115.

I think I got a good deal on the 115 and D140 coming in at under 12.5K.
I run flexisign pro subscription so I should have no issues with print and cut

FrankW

Thanks
I found that I didn't want the HP basic cutter that comes with the 115. It is basically the FX model and has limited media widths (won't take a 15" roll for example as the rollers stop at 11 and 16 so we lose material). The 315 comes with the HP latex cutter which I believe is the D140 model. Suppliers wouldn't couple the Latex Cutter with the 115.

I think I got a good deal on the 115 and D140 coming in at under 12.5K.
I run flexisign pro subscription so I should have no issues with print and cut

I don‘t know the prices in the US, I‘m from europe. But in europe the price of a Latex 115 with a separate D140R and a print & cut rip is very near to a 315 print & cut bundle as far as I remember. And you should consider that if buying a print & cut bundle, a Flexisign-Pro (Since v12 = FlexiSIGN & PRINT) is included, it have a different name and drives the HP Cutter only, but will have the same features. Using that and cancelling subscription will save another $600 a year.

mameighan

valid points. The 315 bundle was going to cost $15K so basically 4 years of subscription. Too many choices to consider. Thanks for the input