• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L25500 Cyan Head Fail

SignsNow299

Good afternoon all,

My problem is with faulty cyan cartridges. The error will not show up during a print only after it. That is better than during but it is still frustrating to check out the printhead each time it happens about 600ml worth of printing. Luckily, since it is under warranty and no prints have been lost, I just return the printhead and get a new one. I am keeping a log now of how often this happens, the serial number of the printhead and color

I have lost three heads in the last 2 months!! any sugestions?

Thanks for the input

SignsNow299

we are using the latest firmware, we did a firmware update not too long ago trying to eliminate this issue.

as far as what slot it has been both 1 and 2...

Matt-Tastic

has this been across multiple ink cartridges as well? I've not heard of any, but it may be possible for a bad lot of ink to be affecting your head life. If you've been contacting HP for replacement heads, they have a record of how many you've gone through as well.

If you have an older machine (if it's an L25500, its at least 1.5 years old), you may be in time for a service maintenance kit. The kit includes some alignment, tension checks and a replacement line sensor. the line sensor is what the machine uses to find things like the cleaning cartridge, which if it isn't lining up properly would not clean the heads correctly, and then heads would get messed up faster. Cyan often has more pigment in it, and would stand to reason that it would fail the most often when not cleaned properly.

to the heads look bad when you take them out?

FYI, the SMK #3 (the most common one) is about 500 bucks.

SignsNow299

has this been across multiple ink cartridges as well? I've not heard of any, but it may be possible for a bad lot of ink to be affecting your head life. If you've been contacting HP for replacement heads, they have a record of how many you've gone through as well.

If you have an older machine (if it's an L25500, its at least 1.5 years old), you may be in time for a service maintenance kit. The kit includes some alignment, tension checks and a replacement line sensor. the line sensor is what the machine uses to find things like the cleaning cartridge, which if it isn't lining up properly would not clean the heads correctly, and then heads would get messed up faster. Cyan often has more pigment in it, and would stand to reason that it would fail the most often when not cleaned properly.

to the heads look bad when you take them out?

FYI, the SMK #3 (the most common one) is about 500 bucks.

No it only happens to Cyan head and it looks fine when we pull them out to replace them. I feel like the heads really arent bad but the Machine thinks they are or that the heads are failing but still have tons of life to them.

Matt-Tastic

No it only happens to Cyan head and it looks fine when we pull them out to replace them. I feel like the heads really arent bad but the Machine thinks they are or that the heads are failing but still have tons of life to them.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth then. Keep an extra set of Cyan head on the shelf, and every time they fail early, get free replacements. thats a 33% savings on head costs!

I'm half kidding there. Obviously it's a pain in the butt, but at least you're not having to pay out of pocket for heads that should be lasting 5x as long.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
went thru this awhile back, went thru three heads in no time, same ones, cyan.

HP replaced them all.

it calmed down and hasn't happen't since.

HulkSmash

I'm having the same issue.
I've been burning through C/LC heads like Crazy. 300-400 ML i'm having to replace them. Sick of it.

These printers don't print like they printed the first 6 month.. They're gradually getting worse.

Quix

I know it's an old post, but I've been having the same issue, and I wonder if anyone has got to a solution yet.

My Cyan printheads are lasting for about 600 ml. I've reported this to HP before, but today I got an awful response: Since my warranty just expired, they cannot replace any more printheads, even though they’re under warranty. Their argument is that my printer is “overheating” them – only the Cyan ones, if that makes any sense.

I just wonder why they waited until the warranty expired to tell me this. I’ve been reporting this issue for almost a year.

Any suggestions?

tomence

I got my L260 3 months ago and right after using maybe 20% of ink both C and LC printhead went bad, HP replaced them, but things like this makes me not buy HP anything again, i was very against buying this printer but wanted to give it a try because of all the hype. There is nothing special to this printer. I would rather get the new Seiko M-64, way better built printer.

Split76

I got my L260 3 months ago and right after using maybe 20% of ink both C and LC printhead went bad, HP replaced them, but things like this makes me not buy HP anything again, i was very against buying this printer but wanted to give it a try because of all the hype. There is nothing special to this printer. I would rather get the new Seiko M-64, way better built printer.

I have 6 months old l260 and have had several C-LC failures, but after i started printing color stripes for every print, everything seems to be better. Or at least i think so. No more banding and better colors also. :loveya:

danno

We have a L26500 and went through an issue with printheads not lasting. Not anyone colour specific. It was rumored the HP had a bad batch of heads. After about 3 months everything turned out fine. I think there is still alot of black magic in this whole latex deal, it doesn't matter who makes it.

kanini

Had this same problem at first but then I changed the sleep mode time to 120 mins. or something like that, it was at 30 at first I think. Haven't had any problems since (knock on wood). Maybe you guys already has it set to that or if it just was a lucky shot but it's definately worth a try...

GB2

Old Member
As mentioned previously, if you are having these issues, you should first make sure you are operating with the latest firmware installed. Next, whenever you install a new print head or a new ink cartridge make sure you shake it vigorously first. If you have a problem with a print head, you can remove it, shake it, clean the contacts and try it again. Also, do the print head alignment and make sure you look at and understand the results. I would also suggest that you occasionally do a proper shut down and restart of the printer, like a computer it needs a reboot every so often.