• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L25500 vs Roland VERSACAMM VS-540

ScottyAdams

Hey everyone,

Very new here...Our incoming equipment list includes a Roland VERSACAMM VS-540 but we are thinking about switching to the HP L25500 Printer instead. Anyone have experience with these two that can provide us with why one is a better option than the other? Thanks!:thankyou:

Jack Knight1979

I'm a Roland guy all the way. I love my machine. Personally I don't think the print quality is any better on the latex machines. I have a ton of samples from HP and my Roland looks just as good. The latex print scratches too.

Both machines have positive points. HP can print on fabric which is important, it also has an Optical media advance, so you don't have to calibrate it every time you load media like a Roland.

Roland's are built like tanks and will out live an HP. My Roland has run all day, everyday, for six years and still runs perfectly. Granted I've had to replace parts, but Roland sources most of their components, which means you can get them for a long time after the machine was built.

Unlike HP which will try and sell you a new printer in two years. HP also makes all the components for their machines, so when they're done making it. You're done.

If you plan on only getting a couple years out of the machine, I would go HP since they are user friendly and cheap. If you're in it for the long haul I think the Roland has a better ROI over time.

ProColorGraphics

I had a VP-540i and switched to a L25500 and will NEVER look back!! The quality of the VP540 doesn't come close to the output on the HP. I had both at the same time for a while. Ran the same file on both printers to compare and the HP was WAY better! Plus, when a head goes out on the Roland, it really hurts if you aren't under warranty. If all (6) go out on the HP, it's only $600. The ink is way cheaper too.

I was at a show a couple of weeks ago where they were running a VS series. The quality wasn't any better in my opinion.

Hey everyone,

Very new here...Our incoming equipment list includes a Roland VERSACAMM VS-540 but we are thinking about switching to the HP L25500 Printer instead. Anyone have experience with these two that can provide us with why one is a better option than the other? Thanks!:thankyou:

Both printers are solid choices. The Roland is a print/ cut device, while the HP latex is print-only, and you would need an additional cutter to produce contour-cut decals etc. If you go with the Roland, you will also need to choose an inkset (there are three ink configurations to choose from). One of the inkset options includes White and Silver ink.

tomence

I would never buy a Roland again, maybe it's a good printer but i am not sold on Rolands. First of the ink scracthes very easy even after two or three days of outgassing, i did get some print samples from the new HP L26500 and the ink doesnt scratch as easy as the Roland's ink, print quality is perfect better than the Roland and my Mimaki that i have right now eventhou Mimaki's ink SS21 is the best in my opinion. I really want to check out the new Epson SureColor and compare it to the HP L26500. The HP is also twice faster than the Roland. Be able to print on more materials.

VTSigns

While I can't comment on that exact Roland model I did have a Roland SC-540EX for about 5 years. I really liked it. I ended up switching over to the HP L25500 almost a year ago and it has been a great fit for our business. I would by far pick the HP printer over the Roland we use to have. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Roland but the HP is much better in several areas. The print quality is by far better. Virtually not maintenance with the latex machine. Ink costs are much lower. The user replaceable printheads are a great feature (not sure why Mimaki didn't do the same in their latex unit). Speed is slightly slower than my Roland but it's more than sufficient. For the money, the HP printer blows the Roland away in overall cost of ownership. I don't think anyone can knock the HP machines without every actually owning one. I have had both and I would recommend both but I would far a and away prefer the HP. Good Luck.

artbot

i think the reason for mimaki not using "pop in heads" is they were wanting to be the low heat alternative. an hp used a thermal head, then ink cures with heat. with the thermal head, the ink had to have it's cure temperature raised further above it's boiling temperature. a piezo spits ink so they could set the cure temp lower without risking curing/clogging in hot print head.

sbt

HP all the way

Our HP 25500 was the best investment I made in the last 4 years. We had the HP 9000 solvent before. We save time, not having to clean it every morning. We simply swap out the heads for $90 each instead of thousands. Ink is much less expensive. Prints come out dry so we can laminate instantly. But most importantly, the print quality makes my customers come back time and time again.

I liked it so much, I bought two. However, I will be buying a HP flatbed next week, so I will be selling one of my HP 25500 if you want one. It is 18 months old and on warrantee. Let me know if you or anyone else is interested.