• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP L360 for small letters

TXsignguy

We are looking for a new printer and with everything I've seen on this board and my own research, it looked like the L360 was the best choice. I went to see the printer at a demo and was really disappointed with the print quality. We print a lot of decals on our Epson GS6000 and the HP was no where close to the quality of the Epson. The decals on the Epson are printed on 3M IJ40C at 8 pass bidirectional. The same file on the same media on the L360 was hardly legible.

The prints did dry rightaway, which is the only reason for buying this printer, but didn't print sharp at all. What is everyone's experience with printing small text, about 10 point font, on the HP L360?

Thanks in advance for your input.

What RIP was driving the printer?
What resolution was the RIPped file being sent to the printer (note that this is entirely different than the resolution of the job file)? Most RIPs have been defaulting to 300ppi resolution for this, but newer firmware in the HP Latex 360 now permits higher resolutions to be used. 300ppi is fine for most types of jobs, but could potentially be inadequate for very small type such as you are describing here.

Here is a link that describes this issue and solution on the HP Latex Knowledge Center:
http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/Forum/Print-Quality-on-Latex-360-Resolution-Problems/m-p/94102#M149

parrott

We are looking for a new printer and with everything I've seen on this board and my own research, it looked like the L360 was the best choice. I went to see the printer at a demo and was really disappointed with the print quality. We print a lot of decals on our Epson GS6000 and the HP was no where close to the quality of the Epson. The decals on the Epson are printed on 3M IJ40C at 8 pass bidirectional. The same file on the same media on the L360 was hardly legible.

The prints did dry rightaway, which is the only reason for buying this printer, but didn't print sharp at all. What is everyone's experience with printing small text, about 10 point font, on the HP L360?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Great post and timing. We are looking at upgrading from our GS6000 and I was curious about the same thing. I have not seen any samples off the L360, but there is no way that we would go down in quality from the GS6000. Everything about the Latex sounds great, but we need to make sure the quality is there. It seems like I read some where the L360 uses a 12 picoliter drop size and I am pretty sure the GS6000 uses a 4 picoliter drop size. That is a huge difference and I would imagine would cause more of a "grainy" look to the prints. What are the alternatives to the L360, Epson Surecolor? Going to have to get some samples printed and compare.

CES020

We don't have the 360, but have printed 6pt fonts on the latex machines a number of times.

dypinc

Besides the 600dpi rendering you also need to have the Latex Optimizer set higher if you want fine edge detail. There is an on-board test that will show you the results of different Optimizer settings.

TXsignguy

What RIP was driving the printer?
What resolution was the RIPped file being sent to the printer (note that this is entirely different than the resolution of the job file)? Most RIPs have been defaulting to 300ppi resolution for this, but newer firmware in the HP Latex 360 now permits higher resolutions to be used. 300ppi is fine for most types of jobs, but could potentially be inadequate for very small type such as you are describing here.

Here is a link that describes this issue and solution on the HP Latex Knowledge Center:
http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/Forum/Print-Quality-on-Latex-360-Resolution-Problems/m-p/94102#M149

It was Onyx Thrive and the file was built in AI. I didn't play around with the rip but isn't the resolution determined on the profile selected? On my Colorburst RIP, there is only one selection for IJ40 resolution and a selection of either uni or bi-directional printing.

dypinc

It was Onyx Thrive and the file was built in AI. I didn't play around with the rip but isn't the resolution determined on the profile selected? On my Colorburst RIP, there is only one selection for IJ40 resolution and a selection of either uni or bi-directional printing.

Onyx Thrive will default to 300dpi. You have to change the profile to 600dpi or create a new one and set it to 600dpi. The Latex Optimizer setting has to be set in the Advance setting for the substrate quality on the printer.

I am pretty sure with Onyx Thrive all profiles downloaded from the printer will be set at 300dpi.

Hotspur

All 3xx profiles are now 600dpi by default at usual pass rates

I am pretty sure with Onyx Thrive all profiles downloaded from the printer will be set at 300dpi.[/QUOTE]

This used to be true but with the latest FW all profiles at typical pass rates that are synced from the Latex arrive at the rip with a choice of both 300 and 600dpi profiles.

i.e build a single profile on the printer and when it arrives in the rip there will be a choice of two profile modes to choose from for that media profile (two for the price of one!)

Faster pass rates will offer 150 or 300dpi choices etc

@TXsignguy

The HP Latex 360 is a great choice for wrapping vehicles, wall murals, outdoor signage, floor decals, etc. When it comes to printing small text, this printer does an average job. You will def see graininess from time to time, especially with small text and prints. But the good thing is that latex ink will not fade as quickly. Of course using an Epson will give you superior small print quality, but the down side is if you place this sticker on a car or outdoors anywhere, it will fade quick. There are pros and cons to most printers, but I rather use a Latex because I don't think my customers notice, it is usually us who notice these minor issues. I have not seen any of my customers put a decal I printed on my HP L360 up to their face. They just care about the color quality and if it's
legible.

CanuckSigns

@TXsignguy

The HP Latex 360 is a great choice for wrapping vehicles, wall murals, outdoor signage, floor decals, etc. When it comes to printing small text, this printer does an average job. You will def see graininess from time to time, especially with small text and prints. But the good thing is that latex ink will not fade as quickly. Of course using an Epson will give you superior small print quality, but the down side is if you place this sticker on a car or outdoors anywhere, it will fade quick. There are pros and cons to most printers, but I rather use a Latex because I don't think my customers notice, it is usually us who notice these minor issues. I have not seen any of my customers put a decal I printed on my HP L360 up to their face. They just care about the color quality and if it's
legible.

Sorry but this is not true, both latex and eco solvent ink have similar lifespans of around 3 years unlaminated.

The surecolor printers will give you a better image quality vs the latex due to the smaller picoliter size, and in the case of the s80600 the addition of orange and red ink.

The latex is a good printer for most day to day stuff like banners, wraps etc. But if colour consistency and fine detail is important to you look into another machine.

Jburns

IF you like your GS6000 - I think you will REALLY like the new Epson Surecolors - I think they dry faster

Commando

I have a 360 and 365. The quality is good IMO. We can print on clear material (a positive for the screen shop) with about 10pt fonts and it will be good enough for a crisp print.
Quality isnt what i would worry about with those printers though...