• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hp l360

AF

Has anyone compared the noise level of the 300 series to the 200 series latex? does it still sound like a military jet in full afterburner when it is printing? I was hoping HP would use larger and quieter fans on it but it looks like that is not the case.

FrankW

Has anyone compared the noise level of the 300 series to the 200 series latex? does it still sound like a military jet in full afterburner when it is printing? I was hoping HP would use larger and quieter fans on it but it looks like that is not the case.

The noise level of the 300-Series is remarkable lower than on the 200-Series. There is a short moment only during finishing a job (30 seconds or so) where it starts blowing loud. Irritating: everytime when the head runs over the maintenance station (every second pass), a "rattrattratt" appears, but it looks like (is the same on our 310-demo-unit) that this is regular behaviour.

In addition, the strange Beep-sound of the Latex 300 is replaced by a gong (one or two tones depending on the message). Of course, a repeating "ding-dong" instead of "beep-beep" will put stress on you too:smile: , but overall it's nicer.

There is currently one problem with onyx: it is not a bug, it is a difficulty because of the way onyx handles things. Currently, the print mode is given by the printer, there will be no printing resolution available to choose in the RIP-Software anymore. There is a dpi-setting, but this will mean the resolution of the contone file: printing with the default contone file resolution of 300dpi will work fine with big prints, but will lead to poor quality on little vectors, e. g. small text for labels. Switching to a file resolution of 600 dpi will lead to longer ripping times (still fast), but much better quality with small objects. While the resolution can be easily changed in the job properties of FlexiPRINT, in Onyx a switch to the media manager is neccessary to modify any (automatically generated) single print mode for every single media. No chance to switch it on the fly for one time faster ripping, one time better quality.

There is a lot of confusion on this point. The issue is that the Latex 300 series are fundamentally different than the 200 series as well as most other large-format printers in that the 300 machines are contone devices and the others are halftone units. This means that there are a number of things that are happening on the printer itself with the Latex 300 machines, versus in the RIP with the other units.

In Onyx using the Latex 360, the resolution is often referenced as 300 dpi, which would reasonably lead one to believe that is the resolution of the print - it is not. The HP Latex printheads always print at 1200 dpi in scan direction, by either 300, 600, or 1200 in the media feed direction, using a 12pl dot.

When you see Onyx referencing 300 dpi resolution in a job, that refers to the resolution of the data set being sent to the printer (300ppi). In this case, the printer acts on that data by printing at 600x1200 dpi resolution. When Onyx references 150 dpi, the printer is outputting at 300x1200, and when the RIP references 600 p/dpi, the printer is outputting at 1200x1200 dpi resolution.

In my experience (26 years and counting), 600x1200 dpi print resolution is more than acceptable for the vast majority of applications in the visual communications arena.

This contone workflow also means that the RIP times are dramatically reduced. I took a 4 tile wall mural file (200 inches wide by 100 inches tall) 600 MB TIF and ripped it in Onyx for the Latex 260 at 600 dpi (600x1200). The file took 14 minutes to RIP. I then took that same file and RIPped it to the Latex 360 at 300 (600x1200) and the file RIPped in 8 seconds (on the same PC). Combined with the dramatic reduction in warm-up time and print speed improvements, the job took around one third of the time to RIP and print with the Latex 360 versus the previous machine.

Last edited:

FrankW

There is a lot of confusion on this point. The issue is that the Latex 300 series are fundamentally different than the 200 series as well as most other large-format printers in that the 300 machines are contone devices and the others are halftone units. This means that there are a number of things that are happening on the printer itself with the Latex 300 machines, versus in the RIP with the other units.

In Onyx using the Latex 360, the resolution is often referenced as 300 dpi, which would reasonably lead one to believe that is the resolution of the print - it is not. The HP Latex printheads always print at 1200 dpi in scan direction, by either 300, 600, or 1200 in the media feed direction, using a 12pl dot.

When you see Onyx referencing 300 dpi resolution in a job, that refers to the resolution of the data set being sent to the printer (300ppi). In this case, the printer acts on that data by printing at 600x1200 dpi resolution. When Onyx references 150 dpi, the printer is outputting at 300x1200, and when the RIP references 600 p/dpi, the printer is outputting at 1200x1200 dpi resolution.

In my experience (26 years and counting), 600x1200 dpi print resolution is more than acceptable for the vast majority of applications in the visual communications arena.

This contone workflow also means that the RIP times are dramatically reduced. I took a 4 tile wall mural file (200 inches wide by 100 inches tall) 600 MB TIF and ripped it in Onyx for the Latex 260 at 600 dpi (600x1200). The file took 14 minutes to RIP. I then took that same file and RIPped it to the Latex 360 at 300 (600x1200) and the file RIPped in 8 seconds (on the same PC). Combined with the dramatic reduction in warm-up time and print speed improvements, the job took around one third of the time to RIP and print with the Latex 360 versus the previous machine.

thats what I Say:smile:

signagesic

I am not sure about that

I am not sure about that, waiting for answer
Just looked at these at ISA and man it looks like they have made some super improvements. Saying it is twice as fast as the L260 and the heat up time is down to around a minute and a half. If this is true it might be worth the upgrade. What do you guys think?

aerospacial

L 330

Hi,

i am using the photoprint version that came with Latex 330. I cant print the 6 colors in the color bar. only 4 colors (missing the light ones). Any clue of what is this ?!

other issue is that at the END of any print, the rip send an alert showing wrong media width. milimiters, but it happens all the time, to wider and to smaller values.

thanks a lot.

Carlos Alencar.

AF

Hi,

i am using the photoprint version that came with Latex 330. I cant print the 6 colors in the color bar. only 4 colors (missing the light ones). Any clue of what is this ?!

other issue is that at the END of any print, the rip send an alert showing wrong media width. milimiters, but it happens all the time, to wider and to smaller values.

thanks a lot.

Carlos Alencar.

I believe the fix to the millimeter width error is to make sure the rip preferences are set to english units and the same with the printer (or metric if that is what you use). If that doesn't work, make sure there are no network conflicts with the printer, it must have a unique fixed IP address on your network.

aerospacial

thanks a lot, but they are both metric. I tried to change the precision too (0.0 0.000 0.0000) but nothing....

and when the software acuses the wrong width it deslocates the image. Big problem.

and also no color band with 6 colors, only CMYK.

Carlos

AF

The only other thing that comes to mind is making sure your rip is "fully activated and functional" and the correct printer driver is selected. I say this because I had a rip that thought it was in demo mode and wouldn't report printer status correctly until the software license was fixed which activated the correct printer driver.

bttweb

L360

just came from a demo of the L360 and found that it hits the wiper every time it makes a pass..

is this normal and if yes.. whats the reason behind it??

just came from a demo of the L360 and found that it hits the wiper every time it makes a pass..

is this normal and if yes.. whats the reason behind it??

The wipe is to clear the nozzle plate of contaminants like excess ink, etc. The wiper will make an audible noise as the carriage passes over it. It is entirely normal for the Latex 300 series, and is not a sign of any type of problem.

deand_sai

Merchant Member
Update for FlexiPRINT

Hi,

i am using the flexiprint version that came with Latex 330. I cant print the 6 colors in the color bar. only 4 colors (missing the light ones). Any clue of what is this ?!

thanks a lot.

Carlos Alencar.

Carlos, be sure you get the upgrade to your FlexiPRINT that was bundled with the printer. Your printer likely did the automatic firmware update, so you need to update your software. The media sync works much better with the new firmware and software. To get the free update, go here:

http://www.ThinkSAi.com/update

D Phat

Unbelievable printer

I just purchased one and had it installed on the floor Monday of this week. Old printer (which is now the back up) is the L25500. The L360 is TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE! Print time...SO FAST. Quality - SO AMAZING. I rarely get excited about printers but this is sick.

Price should be around $18,000 - $19,000. Inks should be around $130.

The only regret is that I did not purchase this sooner.

I just purchased one and had it installed on the floor Monday of this week. Old printer (which is now the back up) is the L25500. The L360 is TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE! Print time...SO FAST. Quality - SO AMAZING. I rarely get excited about printers but this is sick.

Price should be around $18,000 - $19,000. Inks should be around $130.

The only regret is that I did not purchase this sooner.

spoke with almost every dealer at SGIA yesterday. They can't go below MRP so Price of the printer should be $17,995 without tax and the MRP for ink is $135 and that's the lowest you can buy for. The dealers are not allowed to sell below those prices for new or they loose their ability to be a distributor for HP. Just bought a L360 yesterday. Super excited to get it and play with it. I had a L25500 at my old shop and loved it despite the problems they had. This new version really stepped up the game and is leaving a lot of competitors scrambling to figure out how to make solvent sales in a UV and latex world.

310 = $12995, 330 = $15995, and 360 = $18995 according to my 3 dealers in town.

I would say he is correct. Our L360 was $17,995 and we bought it at SGIA. The list prices here | are correct. Those are HP set prices. Whoever is trying to sell you a L360 for 26,000 is about to make a hell of a commission.