• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP latex 110 miscalculated remaining ink in cartridge?

TDFcustomSL

Was in the middle of printing some banners and everything was going great, like it always does. I get a message on my HP app saying that my magenta cartridge is low, nothing unusual there. Next thing I know the printer has stopped printing magenta and has horrible banding. I look at the remaining ink level and it still shows 8%. I go ahead and swap out the magenta cartridge, still nothing. So I do a calibration and eventually get some magenta ink flowing again. However, now I have horrible banding and my nozzle test plot is showing that both of my yellow/magenta heads have some issues. Is this a common thing for the printer to run itself out of ink and then for the heads to fail immediately after? Of course the heads are fresh out of warranty and only have 670ml printed through one head and 687ml through the other. Anyone else had this issue or heard of it before?

TomK

Yes, I've had this happen on my 310...same issue. Said there was ink left when there wasn't and it destroyed the head(s). You should have a warranty on the heads up to 1000ml though them. Call HP, they'll send you replacement heads.

I never did get an answer on why it said there was ink left when there really wasn't.

TDFcustomSL

Yes, I've had this happen on my 310...same issue. Said there was ink left when there wasn't and it destroyed the head(s). You should have a warranty on the heads up to 1000ml though them. Call HP, they'll send you replacement heads.

I never did get an answer on why it said there was ink left when there really wasn't.
Hey thanks, I will reach out to HP and see if I can get a couple replacements

dypinc

I would not let the ink cartridges get below 20ml. Not sure where you're getting percentages from. Anyway when it has said 20mil I have never been able to detect any ink left.

Actually if you do let the ink run out it will likely burn up nozzles. Thermal heads need ink in them to keep from overheating. I would take this up with technical support. Printer should not have gotten this far without making you replace the ink cartridges. They owe you some replacement printheads in my opinion.

Last edited:

TDFcustomSL

I would let the ink cartridges get below 20ml. Not sure where you're getting percentages from. Anyway when it has said 20mil I have never been able to detect any ink left.
I have never had an issue up until this time. Usually I let it run until it forces me to replace the cartridge and have never seen any banding or defects in the print by doing this so maybe I was just getting lucky?

dypinc

I have never had an issue up until this time. Usually I let it run until it forces me to replace the cartridge and have never seen any banding or defects in the print by doing this so maybe I was just getting lucky?

For the very reason posted in this thread I try never to let that happen. 20mi is around my replacement point. Never let it get below 10ml. I have seen it sit at around 20mil way to long when I new it was using ink. Don't trust the goofy HP software/hardware that much.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I have had 4 HP 25500's and an HP315, currently running 1 25500 and the 315, I have never taken an ink cart out until it says its empty.

TDFcustomSL

Did you try printing solid magenta?
Yeah, It helped just a little, not near enough. Just talked to HP, they are going to replace one head out of the 2 because only one of them still shows that it is still in warranty even tho all heads came with the printer and were installed at the same time. I guess one is better than none, HP Tech support has been great to work with, although setting up a case was tricky due to some language barriers.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
seems to me to be a waste of ink to take them out with 10-20% left based on worry.... in 5 years i have probably sent 20 heads back to HP for free ones, why worry about heads and waste ink when you can get them for free.......

dypinc

10% is over 70ml of ink and that is not what I said. Where are you getting percentages. My L360 does not show percentages. What models do?

TDFcustomSL

10% is over 70ml of ink and that is not what I said. Where are you getting percentages. My L360 does not show percentages. What models do?
Not percent. ML..had so many things going at one time this morning I mis typed it. Either way, the cartridge was empty when the printer showed that it still had ink