• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 280 or HP Latex 360

Jimsee

Hi Guys,

Anyone can give us some comment about the two printers. We are looking to purchase a third printer, but cannot wrap around our head which one we would like to go with, moreover, we have never own a HP latex printer, the current two are Roland.

L360 - new generation, seems better, have seen it in action in many trade show and at distributor location. The down side is 60" width, which our other two printer is in the same width already. I know this can print on a lot of media as I have seen and have all those samples when I attend SGIA last year.

L280 - older generation, I have very little information on this. The reason we kind of consider the 280 is the 8ft width. In my city, there's a high demand for fence sign that is either printed on scrim banner or mesh. Each order would be qty 10+ 8ftx10ft or 6ftx10ft banner since they need to cover up the full construction site. But I'm not sure if the L280 would handle all the "newer" media that comes off the market, such as commercial grade wall paper, textile, paper etc; hence can 280 print on most if not all of the media that a 360 can print on? Anyone know if HP is releasing a newer version of the 280? Maybe it will be called L380?

All in all, is it worth buying an older generation of latex printer, hence the 280, or just go with the 360 so we have another printer to use now plus the ability to print on more variety of media than our roll can, or wait and see IF HP is going to release something like a 380, which is a 8ft version of a 360.

Our distributor have a demo unit of the 280 and they might be able to let it go at low 40K, where as the 360 is in the 26K range (Canada).
Any input would be great!

Last edited:

ProColorGraphics

If you were looking at the L260 or L360, it would be the new L360. No questions asked. I would say it would depend if you think the extra expense would pay off? You did see that the L280 takes 3 phase power right? That is pretty much the main reason I never got one. It was more expense than it was worth to put it in. As far as materials, they print on pretty much the same stuff. I done plenty of the "specialty" types of medials, like wall coverings, on my L260 as well as my L360.

So if you think you can sell the larger banners and have access to 3 phase power, you might be better off with the L280. I too am hoping they come out with a newer version that doesn't take 3 phase power.

Jimsee

If you were looking at the L260 or L360, it would be the new L360. No questions asked. I would say it would depend if you think the extra expense would pay off? You did see that the L280 takes 3 phase power right? That is pretty much the main reason I never got one. It was more expense than it was worth to put it in. As far as materials, they print on pretty much the same stuff. I done plenty of the "specialty" types of medials, like wall coverings, on my L260 as well as my L360.

So if you think you can sell the larger banners and have access to 3 phase power, you might be better off with the L280. I too am hoping they come out with a newer version that doesn't take 3 phase power.

Thanks for the info! What do you think the consumption of power on the 280? Does it eat more than the L360 with 2 single phase 240W? I'm lucky my uncle is an electrician and I'm sure he can put it in for me at cost almost but do have to double check if I can get the 3 phase needed.

On the other note, how is the quality compare between the 260/280 and the L360? User friendliness? I'm trying to study Onyx and Caldera, which are you using and what are some of the pros and cons?

TXFB.INS

we run Rolands so can't comment on the machines.

father was an electrician - 3 phase power will require new lines to be ran so make sure the building is easy to access and also check with the electric company that 3 phase is even available at your location as most meters can not handle it and will have to be upgraded

RIP program - caldera hands down, we run all of the printers & plotters through this

ProColorGraphics

There is a way to convert 1 phase to 3 phase for the L280. Check with HP.

There is a converter, but even from HP it is not recommended. Plus, it takes like a 100amp dedicated line just for it then. haha.

I also second Caldera!! I went from a Roland VP540 to my first HP Latex and haven't had any regrets! Every program has its pluses and minuses but have no real complaints about Caldera! There service is awesome too if you do have an issue or question.