• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 280 vs. Mimaki JV34-260

I have a customer and long-time friend who is looking at purchasing a new 104" wide printer. He has been a Mimaki user for over 10 years and was very keen on the JV34-260, however he recently received some pricing on the HP Latex 280 which has him rethinking.

I'm very familiar with the HP 310, 330 & 360 and understand that the 280 is the previous generation technology (no optimizer head, high heat in the print zone) and am interested to hear opinions on this machine from people that own one. What do you like about this model? What are your operating costs? What are the short-comings? In the same vein, I'm a big fan on the JV34 myself but would love to hear opinions from others that own them.

Thanks!

Robert Gruner

All depends on print size and volume. L280 is good printer but if your client is heavy into 72"-104" printing widths; he/she might be better served with a refurbished HP L610 or LX850.

Good printing

KevSign

We had 2 L28500 and 1 LX850 - Our LX850 good for long run job and faster but if the shop is small and may not fit, too much waste and downtime to switch media.

L28500 slower but load media faster for difference sizes and medias (we did 450 banner stand 36x80 with fabric print and install in 3 weeks)

Our shop equip:
2 HP FB500 64"
2 HP L28500 104" (great for 2 sided print)
1 HP L360 64"
1 HP LX850 120"
1 OCE 350GT 4'x8' Roll2Roll 87"
1 Roland VS640 64"
2 Multicam Routers 4x8 & 4x4
1 Laser cut 4'x8'
1 Graphtec 8600 54"
1 Sewing machine
2 SWF Embroidery machine 6 heads and 1 head.
Our brokers client never got problem with us. Because we are duplicate our equipment and never told client sorry if our machine is down cannot get their job done on time. NEVER :)
We are very blessed what's we got.
Don't laugh only 3,000 sq. ft. we are used every square inch not foot. Prepare for next 2 years own the building.

FrankW

I work at an HP-Dealer, and some time ago (I think 2013) a customer had a demonstration with a Latex 28500 in our office. He had a look to a Mimaki 104" too before. After leaving our office, he have compared the prints with the mimaki prints and have decided for the Latex 28500/280 because of better printing quality and higher scratch resistance.

I had doubts about the printing quality (smaller dot size) and have asked someone I thought he had both machines: he explained that he had the Mimaki 104" just for one year and have replaced it with the Latex, because of the Mimaki had problems with banding, and the prints on the latex are more brilliant and more scratch resistant.

This was two years ago, perhaps something has changed inbetween, but if there is a decisiion between both models, you chould check that issues too.