• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hp Latex 315 LAN connection

MSD Alan

Hi all,
Im having a hard time connecting our HP latex 315 to the internet. We have a google wifi setup and its a few rooms away from where we have the printer. We have the printer connected to a computer in the printing room and that lets us print but i need help with the LAN connection so the printer can go online. We mainly want this to be able to access the embeded services.

Its worth saying that i dont know about networks but id appreciate any help on this topic. Diagrams would help.

Thx in advance!!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I think you have two options here.

If the RIP PC has internet connection you can share that from the OS to the ethernet connection as well.

Another option is to get an AP and connect the printer and PC to that. Or a straight ethernet cable to the Google AP and another router behind that where you again plug both printer and PC.

MSD Alan

If the RIP PC has internet connection you can share that from the OS to the ethernet connection as well.

Another option is to get an AP and connect the printer and PC to that. Or a straight ethernet cable to the Google AP and another router behind that where you again plug both printer and PC.

Yes, the RIP PC does have internet. I’ll try to see if I can find out how to share it with the printer. I’ll be back if I have trouble. thx!

MSD Alan

soooo I tried to connect to the internet using my Ethernet and the WiFi connected computer but it didn’t work. I googled it for a long time and tried a few different ways but none of them worked. (None of them showed connecting to a printer, most articles were about computer to laptop and similar.)
Any advice on how to make it work like this?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Don't think of it as a printer just think it as a small simple PC that you want to share internet via Ethernet. Because that's what it is. It has network settings like any other PC.
If who ever has setup that connection with a manual IP configuration it may be necessary to modify that. It probably doesn't have a DNS to begin with.
If you don't think this is your expertise get someone who knows IT/Network stuff. It's impossible to explain it without seeing all the details of your setup there.

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/share-internet-connection-windows-ethernet-wi-fi
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/f6dcac4b-5203-4c98-8cf2-dcac86d98fb9

ikarasu

You want to google "ICS"

https://superuser.com/questions/1351283/ics-from-wifi-to-lan-on-win-10-pc Something like this will help you do it. It's hard to say without seeing how you're setup... You shouldnt have to change any wiring if the printer and pc can already see eachother, you just need to enable connection sharing and maybe change the IP on the printer depending on how it was setup.

The easiest way would be to use a repeater. You say you have google wifi...do you mean nest?

netsol

Premium Subscriber
simply run a wire, to connect it.
add a $15 network switch (think of it like a splitter for your cable tv) and 2 extra cable
in this case, ics is not a good choice, the devices will end up on two different subnets and you will be creating 3 new problems to solve 1

if you want, pm me and i can work with you after 5 pm (very busy day today)
if your IT guy gets it sorted out, great. if not i will help,
i have been doing this for well over 30 years,

it is almost NEVER a good idea to have a printer connected wirelessly, momentary drops in connectivity scramble print jobs

netsol

Premium Subscriber
ics puts the new device in a different subnet
(192.168.0.xxx & 192.168.1.xxx) from the rest of the network. never a great idea, we do it sometimes for security

ikarasu

It sounds like it's hard wired to the pc. I was presuming via cat5 with a patch cable.. I don't think they have usb connectors, but to be honest Im not sure because we always hard wire it.

If it's connected directly to the pc, odds are it's already on its own subnet.

I'm going to guess since the rip pc is a wireless connection running a wire isn't possible or in their capability.

Which leaves running an access point to the printer, the. Their rip is also sending via wireless and it's not that stable... Or ics. With ics the wifi will be on the right subnet, and their pc/rip will share one (though you could manually configure it and have them be on the same) but this way their printer gets a wireless connection so they can access the embedded services, and they keep the hard wired connection for stability.

Best option is to run a wire from their router... But that's not always possible! ICS in their use case accomplishes everything they want with no downfalls for this use case.

Somtimes the least perfect solution can be the best one!

Joe House

Best option is to run a wire from their router...

You could also use the web interface (Just input the IP address of the printer in a browser address bar) of the printer and do most things from there - profiles, firmware, etc. that you would want to control from the printer control panel. I do this in network situations like this.
Also, if you're using Flexi, you can manage many of the printer settings in there as well.

Good Luck

MSD Alan

Thank you guys. The rip pc gets internet wirelessly from a nest/google WiFi setting.
Then we have a cat6 cable running to the printer.

May be worth mentioning that the rip oc gets the internet from a usb WiFi device. It’s not on the board.

we’ve tried many settings but it seems to not work. Most online tutorials show that when you select the sharing option on the rip pc, a drop down menu will show the printer or desired connection it ours doesn’t show that.

smichels78

Thank you guys. The rip pc gets internet wirelessly from a nest/google WiFi setting.
Then we have a cat6 cable running to the printer.

May be worth mentioning that the rip oc gets the internet from a usb WiFi device. It’s not on the board.

we’ve tried many settings but it seems to not work. Most online tutorials show that when you select the sharing option on the rip pc, a drop down menu will show the printer or desired connection it ours doesn’t show that.
Did you ever have any luck resolving this issue? I am dealing with the exact same problem.