• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 335 laminate not sticking

yamaha581

We recently seem to be having a problem with some prints and the laminate basically either lifting off or bubbling up. I attached a few pictures below. I was told by the company we get the vinyl from it is from the optimizer but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem. They told us to increase the optimizer to around 15-18 to try it out. It seems to be happening mostly when the prints are all black so they said about a bad ink cartridge as well.

Attachments

• hp1.png
    hp1.png
    635.3 KB · Views: 320
  • hp2.png
    hp2.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 264
  • hp3.png
    hp3.png
    531.9 KB · Views: 258

yamaha581

What vinyl/lam?
this is done with substance for motocross graphics.
We have not had any problem when using any 3m or briteline material. this laminate is about 12 mil thick but we never had this problem up until recently even with this printer. I am wondering if it is a bad black ink cartridge or not because of that reason.

yamaha581

It actually looks like I just replaced the black not too long ago so chances are even with the new cartridge it has still happened once or twice.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It can be few things.
First I would actually lower the optimizer because it doesn't help the adhesion of the laminate. Then make sure your ink is completely dry, it can't have any kind of wet/oily/waxy feel to it. Turn up the heat if you can.

Now this is not super common but it can happen because the waxy / scratch resistant components of the ink. So it makes the laminate hard to attach.

It can be combatted with lowering the amount of ink. Lets say you now have 12p 140%. You should try 10p 100% for example. You just need less ink so the laminate can stick to the material better and not to the ink.

jasonx

Don't set the optimizer based on the curing. You need to run the test plot and adjust for quality (dot gain).

From there you can lower the ink limit or increase heat. If you cant increase heat and lower ink limit any further your only option is to increase passes.

Its just a balancing act between ink limit, heat and time (passes or delay)

yamaha581

Don't set the optimizer based on the curing. You need to run the test plot and adjust for quality (dot gain).

From there you can lower the ink limit or increase heat. If you cant increase heat and lower ink limit any further your only option is to increase passes.

Its just a balancing act between ink limit, heat and time (passes or delay)
Thank you I will mess around with that all now.

jimmmi

It's common with latex ink on some laminations. Lower the ink density as said above and make sure its absolutely cured

GiveUsSigns

Interesting. We use Substance, but print with an Epson S80600, No laminate sticking issues so far. Didn't realize when said optimizer that was a Latex only thing. So much to learn. So little time.

Herrington25

We struggle with the same issues with latex ink. Some laminates are better then others but none that I have found are great. If you search this forum there is a lengthy thread from a while back about this exact issue.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Been running latex for years 570s) with NO such issues, that being said we only use 3M and Orafol lams.

yamaha581

Have you tried Substance laminates?
They have 10 and 15 mil and it is mega sticky and nice n thick. Good stuff.
Yes we use all substance vinyl/laminate. It was a problem with too much ink and not drying. Just not sure why it just recently started happening. We got it all fixed though.