• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hp Latex 360 printer fumes

michael short

Wanting to purchase HP latex 360 printer. I was in a room with 360 printer for 2 hours and noticed my sinus and breathing was affected. I know they claim there is no voc's, hap's but I noticed it. Ink is a low solvent mixed with water + vapours coming off the vinyls. what is the best way to vent this out. I noticed fans pushing air back into the machine, are the fumes coming out in one area of the machine that I could capture and vent out.

FrankW

Ink is no low solvent ink, it is a waterbased ink. There are a few additives in the printers ink for several reasons (as with other inks too), the only thing what could be named a "Solvent" is a small part of 2-Pyrrolydone, an additive what is in other Designjets ink too (Photo and CAD-Printers).

If you have problems you could buy a 560. It don't blows the air in the room, it have a closed curing system and pull the condensate into a bottle. Could help with media outgas too.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
It could be the vinyl material making the smell.
I have tried several different materials on our L26500 and some of them for some reason give off acrid fumes when heated.
It has even happened for only a part of a roll.
Very noticeable on the really cheap materials.

twmiller24

We had to move ours out of one room to the main shop area because an employee was having allergy-type symptoms -- tongue swelling, etc. There definitely are unhealthy vapors from this machine.

It does seem to be the worst with 3m 180 -- other vinyls tend to do better on the smell, so I suspect it has something to do with the heat and the adhesive.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We had to move ours out of one room to the main shop area because an employee was having allergy-type symptoms -- tongue swelling, etc. There definitely are unhealthy vapors from this machine.

It does seem to be the worst with 3m 180 -- other vinyls tend to do better on the smell, so I suspect it has something to do with the heat and the adhesive.
That is almost exclusively what we run here, and the two of us who run the machine here could never stand to be in the print room while it was running. It irritated our throats more than anything.

FrankW

It is possible to check the contents of the ink with the Material Safety Data sheet which could be found as follows:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/productdata/lfmsdsuseng.html

For my opinion the curing system of the HP 500 is closed because it otherwise would blow a lot of condensate during short time in the air if having larger volumes. We have sometimes symptoms that windows gets fogged in rooms where the printer is, and one time water dropping in the printers curing zone.

PRS Bryan

I have been saying that the 300 series inks have a smell for months.

HP and members of this forum have insisted that this is not the case and that I should have printer checked.

I am starting to believe that HP is flat out lying and the forum members should have their nose checked.

Tim Aucoin

Been running my 360 for almost 3 years now. Production is in the basement of an office tower... not a tiny space, but not overly large either.
I've had no effects from fumes coming off printer. I've had no effects from fumes coming off printer. I've had no effects from fumes coming off printer. I've had no effects from fumes coming off printer.

Been running my 360 for almost 3 years now......

twmiller24

I have been saying that the 300 series inks have a smell for months.

HP and members of this forum have insisted that this is not the case and that I should have printer checked.

I am starting to believe that HP is flat out lying and the forum members should have their nose checked.

The inks may be technically odor-free. But the printing process is definitely not.

FrankW

There is PVC, Plastizisers and much more in the media. And when putting heat on that media this components could gas out faster than under lower temperature in a solvent or on stock. There is a reason that shortly 3M have created a PVC-free self-adhesive, and HP offers PVC-free wallpaper for wall decors. I have vinyl on stock which smells ugly as soon as the latex heats up. That don't change anything that the printer itself and the ink do not have much VOC's (nearly 70% of the ink is water). When printing with simple paper, nothing smells.

I have a customer who have worked with a Roland LEF-12 in two little office rooms and needs to resell that printer, because he run into big allergic reactions ... even with air filter. He have a Latex 360 in the same rooms without problems, and a Latex 25500 before too.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I'm sure all these printers and their inks, as well as all the media we handle, contain chemicals that are killing us. I've been in this biz for 25 years nearly and I'm surprised my body isn't riddled with tumors.

CanuckSigns

There is PVC, Plastizisers and much more in the media. And when putting heat on that media this components could gas out faster than under lower temperature in a solvent or on stock. There is a reason that shortly 3M have created a PVC-free self-adhesive, and HP offers PVC-free wallpaper for wall decors. I have vinyl on stock which smells ugly as soon as the latex heats up. That don't change anything that the printer itself and the ink do not have much VOC's (nearly 70% of the ink is water). When printing with simple paper, nothing smells.

I have a customer who have worked with a Roland LEF-12 in two little office rooms and needs to resell that printer, because he run into big allergic reactions ... even with air filter. He have a Latex 360 in the same rooms without problems, and a Latex 25500 before too.

You are comparing a UV printer with a latex, of course there are differences. Our Roland VG-640 does not smell from either the ink or the media

greysquirrel

Check your heater settings...even on downloaded profiles...temps too hot. Typically around 240 degrees...you are cooking the material you are using. Adhesive vinyl 210-215 degrees...banner 215-220...photo paper 190-195....

FrankW

You are comparing a UV printer with a latex, of course there are differences. Our Roland VG-640 does not smell from either the ink or the media

I don't compare. It was just a sample of different sensitivities.

We had that kind of discussions too when the first affordable Eco-Solvent-Printers enter the market more than 10 years ago. Some People are more sensitive than others. I'm shure you could have the same discussions with someone who uses a Roland VG.