• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 365 - Gans Digital Media / Gans Ink & Supply Co, Inc.

BALLPARK

We recently purchased a new latex 365 from BigFish here on Signs101. I've waited a few years due to some horror stories about the latex and I understood that it was new tech that could take time to build a great printer.

My friend Justin has a signshop and he uses all HP equipment for this production runs. He has shown me the 360 latex prints from his printers and I was really impressed with the print quality. That helped me make the move from Roland to HP Latex for our smaller roll to roll media.

I spoke with BigFish about purchasing a new printer from him. He had great knowledge on the printer series from HP and talked about the pro's and con's of the latex. He was very honest from the start and followed through with everything he said he would do. We will be buying more units from him in the near future. We are either going to run multiple 365's or look to the 1500 series.

I waited to make a post about the print quality and how it was to run the printer being new to latex until I had some real time on it. We printed about 1200+ linear feet of banner media on the latex the first week it was online.

I was worried about running full rolls on the printer until I saw it in action. So, the first 3 rolls we only printed 9' long banners in groups of 5 to 8. By the 4th of roll we were printing them from roll to roll all at once. The only time I had a head strike was when we first started and I did not have the media fed out enough on the front trying to print a single test banner. Once we connected the take-up reel it was a very smooth process for printing long production runs. It took about 2.5 hours to print a roll on 6-pass using 13oz banner media. I was very impressed that the 6-pass looked so good for the colors on the text.

Pro's:
- Excellent print quality. Looks more like screen printing when we print on phototex at 10 passes.
- Ready to laminate directly after printing.
- Easy to use the profile new media functions within the user interface. (I still wish I knew more about heat & pass settings.)
- Very good scratch resistance on banner media.
- Excellent take up reel system for roll to roll printing.
- User interface has some good options to review settings for comparable media.
- It's pretty quite and has a cool LED light to help see the prints better.
- The head firing pattern is virtually non-existent. I am very impressed with the smoothness of the print fire pattern.
- Inexpensive parts compared to our Roland.
- No odor on the prints. Our UV and Eco-Solvent both have an odor.

Con's:
- The take up reel is a bit tricky for me to setup quickly. I can set it up from the front or back, but it takes me a couple extra minutes from the start of the screen process to attaching it to the core.
- Not designed for speed when doing one print at time. It takes time to warm up and dry. We don't print many of them that way, when possible. But I wanted to point it out to those that may be doing a lot of them and looking at latex.
- The load system is different and it works. I just think they could improve the process. I had to reseat a couple rolls a few times that wasted about 2 to 5 min each time. That was when we were printing them 5 at a time.
- I don't think the machine will last as long as our XC-540 did. But it's great that you can replace a head (Low Cost) and get back to great looking prints quickly. It's better built than I expected, but does not seem as sturdy as our Roland's from the past. They are priced about half of what a new Roland cost... so who cares if it last 10 years. I prefer to upgrade for faster and better looking prints. I waited on the XC-540 upgrade as the XR was a failure based on many threads here. I love our XC-540 and it's still being used, but it will not go up for sale.

We are very happy to have made the move to latex. The printer is worth every penny and the first order basically paid for it. The price point on the HP printers makes me smile as I like to upgrade and they seem to be more like Apple in terms of new models being released very quickly.

We have profiled 3M cast media, GF cal media, PhotoTex (AMAZING LOOKING PRINTS), Gans banner, Ultraflex banner, poster, and window perf. It wasted about 10 feet of the media to profile it so that is where I wish I had more info for heat and passes.

Is it possible for us to share that kind of info on here? If so, we could create a master thread to help see the heat and pass settings on the profile process to help better gauge the starting point during the profile process.

I was not impressed with the marring on pop-up style banner media. We will continue to use our flatbed printer for that media. Maybe I had the wrong settings. It was not greasy and it did not flake/scratch away ink. It just showed the path of the scratch from the slightest of touches. I can print on our Vutek and rake my nails across it and not see anything. I wasted a roll trying to get to a point that it would not show the marring effect, but no luck.

Great machine and BIGFISH is a man of his word. He has my business now for purchasing latex printers. If you are on the fence about latex vs solvent or eco-solvent, take the leap of faith that latex is not a horror story waiting to happen. I had several large deadlines on big orders and was a newbie to latex. I lost no sleep and walked away from the printer knowing it was going to provide great results for my clients.

Latex like any printer is not the solution for every project. But it's a solid choice if you are printing wall wraps, vehicle wraps, posters, decals, and other forms of vinyl. I have not tested any fabric prints yet as I don't like to read temporary for the life expectancy of the print. Anyone care to give feed back on soft signage fabrics with their latex that would be great. For now I will stick with ordering in our dye sub prints.

I hope this helps someone who is wanting to know more about latex. If so, contact BIGFISH on here and he will take care of you!

Thanks!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Appreciate the feedback sir! We have a great team here to make this all happen, Jordan or I will send you a product sample that might work better for you for pop up material, that won't show the marring your seeing on that other stuff. Excited to see how this technology improves your workflow! Thanks again for the kind words.

Josh

GB2

Old Member
I just want to put in a good word for Josh also, I had the distinct pleasure of finally meeting him at the SGIA show in New Orleans recently and he's even better in person! Josh is a truly trustwworthy, knowledgeable person with a passion for the business and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him.

I also have an HP 365 and would like to discuss profiles, settings, etc. anytime. It should be a simple matter of starting a thread called HP 365 Operation Discussions or something like that.

flyplainsdrifta

I just want to put in a good word for Josh also, I had the distinct pleasure of finally meeting him at the SGIA show in New Orleans recently and he's even better in person! Josh is a truly trustwworthy, knowledgeable person with a passion for the business and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him.

I also have an HP 365 and would like to discuss profiles, settings, etc. anytime. It should be a simple matter of starting a thread called HP 365 Operation Discussions or something like that.

honestly i would love just a latex thread in general. it'd be nice to have it all in one place for stuff like that. I'm working on profiles for my 560 now and it would be an enormous help to anyone not super keen on profiling.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

Thanks for coming by and speaking with me! I love meeting the people on here out at the shows. I will hopefully see more of you out at ISA in Florida this year! Thanks for the kind words!

J4cko

Jack
Hi,
Hope you could clarify a point for me please.

I am considering a new Latex machine.

My question regards 365 Latex

Does the 365 do "continuous printing" ?
Or does it do that annoying drying cycle between prints ?
We have an older latex machibe that takes a long time on individual prints compared to our other printers , as when you print 1 of an image , it cycles through some drying procedure between prints

I was told by a rep that the 365 didn't do this ?
Any advice appreciated please

Thanks in advance

Jack

BALLPARK

We try to combine multiple prints for contour cut or multiple banners on the same print. Otherwise... It waste a bit of space and you have to wait for the dry time.

We have printed plenty of full banner rolls as one print. That way the last print is the only "Dry Time" needed.

They like any printer will have some issues. But we are very happy with the HP latex printers!

dypinc

Hi,
Hope you could clarify a point for me please.

I am considering a new Latex machine.

My question regards 365 Latex

Does the 365 do "continuous printing" ?
Or does it do that annoying drying cycle between prints ?
We have an older latex machibe that takes a long time on individual prints compared to our other printers , as when you print 1 of an image , it cycles through some drying procedure between prints

I was told by a rep that the 365 didn't do this ?
Any advice appreciated please

Thanks in advance

Jack

It does do "continuous printing" as long as the Media Preset is the same. But not all RIPs support it. The older Latex machines had a small pause between jobs.The 300 series does not pause at all between jobs it is totally continuous.

J4cko

Jack
We try to combine multiple prints for contour cut or multiple banners on the same print. Otherwise... It waste a bit of space and you have to wait for the dry time.

We have printed plenty of full banner rolls as one print. That way the last print is the only "Dry Time" needed.

They like any printer will have some issues. But we are very happy with the HP latex printers!

Hi,
thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated

I noticed in a different thread, that there was a firmware update in Sept 2016, that looked like it allowed for continuous printing now ?
HP 300 Series Firmware NEXUS_01_10_00.4 - Released 9/14/16

An update for the 300 series, on 09-14-16

One of the updates, was "continuous printing" .
Is the same thing as i was describing ? that was sorted in this update ?
So that after a single print, the machine doesnt go through that painfully slow cycle ?

BigfishDM ? can you confirm or deny ?

One of the reasons that our Latex used to sit dormant , was that the guys couldnt be bothered with the warm up and drying cycle, all the time, and would often load indoor jobs straight on to one of our HPz6200 machines, which would print without any warm up and drying cycle.

Just be great to hear from any other users, if this cycle of warm up , and the drying cycle after single prints in a queue, has been cured by the Sept 2016 update ? From what i remember, it was a pain , and i wouldnt want to invest in another machine that slowed down our queue of single print jobs.

Any comments and contribution greatly appreciated, to clear up whether this exists on the 365, or if firmware update in sept2016 cleared this up any allowed for quick continuous printing of single queued jobs ?

Thanks
Jack

J4cko

Jack
Hi,

I noticed in a different thread, that there was a firmware update in Sept 2016, that looked like it allowed for continuous printing now ?

So that after a single print, the machine doesnt go through that painfully slow cycle ?

One of the reasons that our Latex used to sit dormant , was that the guys couldnt be bothered with the warm up and drying cycle, all the time, and would often load indoor jobs straight on to one of our HPz6200 machines, which would print without any warm up and drying cycle.

Just be great to hear from any other users, if this cycle of warm up , and the drying cycle after single prints in a queue, has been cured by the Sept 2016 update ? From what i remember, it was a pain , and i wouldnt want to invest in another machine that slowed down our queue of single print jobs.

Any comments and contribution greatly appreciated, to clear up whether this exists on the 365, or if firmware update in sept2016 cleared this up any allowed for quick continuous printing of single queued jobs ?

Thanks
Jack

Thanks BALLPARK

Thanks also dypinc

On the subject of which RIPs support this.....@dypinc ....do you know if Onyx Postershop supports this feature for the 3xx series ?

Also on the subject of RIPs.....my version of Onyx Postershop , which currently supports 3 machines....is from mid 2013, before the 335 and 365 existed.
Does anyone know if this older version of Onyx ( 10.5.2 i think ) , can have an extra printer such as the 335 or 365, added to my current 3 printers...or if i would have to fork out for an expensive, and possibly otherwise unnecessary Onyx upgrade.
Just wasnt sure if an older version of Onyx, like mine, that pre-dated a printer like the 335 or 365, can have one of these machines added to it, or do i have to go down the expensive upgrade route

Again...all help and advice appreciated

thanks in advance

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Hi,

Thanks
Jack
Sorry just seeing this, out in Portland all week. Please give me a call, I should be able to take good care of you guys, 714-878-7989, I'm Josh