• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 54 resets itself while cutting jobs

TassaDarK

Hi! First, sorry my english because it's not my native language.

Lately our HP Latex 54 cutter hangs and reset itself when vinyl is moving vertically (I mean, when you press UP or DOWN arrow in the panel or when cutting a job).

In some point, sounds a 'beep' and the machine reset itself same as if you turn off and on the power switch resulting in interruption and lost of the job.

But this ONLY happens when ethernet is connected. If ethernet cable is not attached never happens.

We think this may be any sort of electrical problem or something that affects to ethernet port but we don't know any solution to this. Any ideas?

Thanks!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It's a known issue. The cutter/roll is building static electricity and you need to have a Shielded CAT6 cable.
If you use normal not shielded cable you can have this issue.

The correct type of cable comes with the cutter (the thick black ethernet) but if you need a longer you need to buy a new one.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Okay, then I'd recommend to add some additional grounding to the device. Also the material that the cutter sits on can make a big difference (like laminate floor or wood etc).
Don't know if SFTP will be any help. Make sure the cable is not disconnecting when the cutter does something.

Worst case your ethernet port may be going bad/maybe it has taken a hit from the cable.

TassaDarK

I forgot to follow up on this issue: finally a SFTP cable solved our problems. Now the machine works like a charm and no resets at all!

CKCUSTOMKC

Okay, then I'd recommend to add some additional grounding to the device. Also the material that the cutter sits on can make a big difference (like laminate floor or wood etc).
Don't know if SFTP will be any help. Make sure the cable is not disconnecting when the cutter does something.

Worst case your ethernet port may be going bad/maybe it has taken a hit from the cable.
what sort or additional grounding device would you recommend? I have been reading that some people use copper wire, which I have some I am just not sure were to attach it in order to allow the static to discarge with out resetting the printer